The Craft Room > Christmas Club

Why I am not keen on making stuff this year...

<< < (2/3) > >>

Andrea G:
Winona, it is not just your grandkids.  They are bombarded with ads for whatever new toy is on the market and when they open the gift and get clothes they aren't as grateful as they would have been if they had got that new xbox.  Remember in the Little House books when Laura and her sisters would be thrilled at getting new mittens or a piece of candy or whatever small gift their parents could give them? They appreciated these things because they didn't have much to start with.  Today's kids have way too much to begin with so their expectations are really high.  I love the idea of making something for their hope chests, and giving it to them when they are old enough to appreciate them.  I hope you don't stop making things for them, because these things will be treasured in years to come, even if they aren't now. :)

Trudy in TN:
Winona,

I am so sorry that you feel that way.  I have relatives that I don't make things for because they don't appreciate it.  I like Leah's thought of this year just spending time with them.  I know they are spread out now.  Are you going to get to see them all this year?

I know I love the snowman quilt you made me.  It is displayed in my living room every year.   ;D

Alana:
I am so sorry  :(. It is hard to put so much effort into making  gifts and have them not appreciated.

I agree with the others..kids have too much these days. Mine included!!  We try so hard to make sure the kids appreciate and understand the effort that goes into making and choosing gifts for them and I still feel that they don't truly get it!  It is frustrating  and I pray that as they mature they develop a more grateful spirit.

MoWin:
Awwww, thank you all for understanding. I know I will continue to make stuff for them, just probably not at Christmas. I am thinking a surprise homemade gift at another time in the year would be better received.  ;D

I suggested to our kids that we have an old fashioned Christmas and only give gifts that we had made. Well, that went over like a lead balloon. LOL Out of 5 kids I only have one who is crafty, the oldest, Carolyn. She is big into crocheting. Cathryn does all the tailoring of their clothing, even Jeremy's suits, but does not enjoy crafts. Hazel wants nothing to do with sewing or using yarn. She does enjoy scrapbooking, though. Isaiah used to do woodworking, but he doesn't have any place any more. Jon is in to electronics. He even builds and repairs computers and game boxes, etc. He has never had any training, just picked it up on his own.  So,  I am pretty much alone in the making gifts department at our house. LOL It is ok. I think just getting all this off my chest yesterday helped. I feel better about things today.

Thank you for all the great comments. Love you all.

Blessings,
Winona

Leahsgarden:

--- Quote from: Trudy in TN on September 12, 2013, 06:12:40 AM ---
I know I love the snowman quilt you made me.  It is displayed in my living room every year.   ;D

--- End quote ---

And I love the bag I won in a giveaway. :) I typically use it to carry my Kindle and journal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version