Author Topic: Monday, June 19, 2017  (Read 1342 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Monday, June 19, 2017
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:43 AM »
Good morning!

Offline 4kidsmom

Re: Monday, June 19, 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:49:14 AM »
Good morning!

It's nice and pleasant outside right now but high temperatures are going to be in the 90s this week!  Tomorrow we'll hit 101!

Right now I'm watering the lawn and in a while I'll be going outside to work on my little garden plot.  I got it weeded on Saturday.  Today I will mix compost into the dirt and get my plants in.  While it's still relatively cool I want to get my garage tidied up.  It's not bad--just some stuff that needs to be put away.

I'll save the inside work for this afternoon when it gets really hot outside.  Jordan's working as a lifeguard at the pool where we swim.  He goes to work at 3:45 today and I am thinking we'll go with him to swim for awhile.  That will feel really good!

I have a load of laundry going and I'll keep that up today.  I need to wash sheets and towels too.  There's the usual house pickup and I have some online stuff to do.  I want to get out my 4th of July decor and put it up.  There's some stuff in the garage that needs to go to the shed.  And of course I have a list of smaller projects to work on here and there. 

I have some food projects to work on.  I need to make a red potato salad for dinner tonight.  I also have cucumbers to slice and mix with sliced onions to make refrigerator pickles.  I need to restock my pantries and see what spices/herbs I need to buy more of.  On Mondays a local bakery has discounted bread so I will run over there and get bread for the week.  It's just too hot to bake bread right now.  It's good quality bread and at $1.15, it's a good price!  I need to rearrange my freezers a bit to make room for the bread--I buy enough to have 12 loaves on hand which gets us through the week.  So I keep 2 loaves out and freeze the rest.

Dinner tonight will be grilled shrimp kebobs, red potato salad, green salad and fruit. 

Merilee

Offline 4kidsmom

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »
I forgot to add something--yesterday on Facebook a friend shared something that I thought was an awesome idea.  Apparently the mail trucks the USPS uses don't have air conditioning so the mail carriers can get really hot.  So the woman who wrote the original post suggested meeting your mail carrier with a bottle of cold water and maybe even a cold wet washcloth so they can refresh their faces and necks.

I'm not sure exactly when my mail carrier comes so I'm thinking I'll put out a small cooler filled with ice and a water bottle plus a bowl of water with a washcloth, and stick a note on/in the mailbox to let him know to help himself. 

A friend of mine who has a mail carrier brother said that would be really helpful. So I thought I'd share here.

Merilee

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:59:32 AM »
Hi Merilee and all who pop in,

Our weekend was so busy and wet. We had rain quite a bit during the nights but very little during the day. I will need to mow tonight.

Hubby decided the backyard project is too much for us. There is so much lava rock buried in the dirt that we can possibly get it all out. So I guess we're hiring the project out. I want it out of there. We are getting too old to walk on that stuff and will twist our ankles. Not something we want to do as we get into our older years. I also think we have a couple of small trees that are dying. We might as well get a professional in to have it done correctly.

We had a nice father's day for hubby and then I also visited my dad. My mom is moving around very, very well.

Then we picked up our oldest daughter from the airport but she had lots of delays and didn't fly in until after midnight last night. Getting her home and just the littlest of conversation we all got to bed after 1 am. Back up for work at 6 am!

I made a lot of meals this weekend. We're just not going to use quick and easy from a box meals so we cook everything from scratch. We found some reduced priced ribs and chicken and made Instant Pot BBQed ribs for one meal. Another meal was chicken and dumplings and a third meal was pork chops on the grill with crockpot scalloped potatoes. Not too many leftovers but just enough for those who need to have lunches today.  My youngest daughter has helped a lot too.

That's it for me.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
Good muggy Monday morning!

It is overcast but very humid outside today.  I got a load of laundry washed early this morning and hung on the line, but not sure it will dry before the rain comes. 

I am babysitting my grandchildren this morning.  I'm not sure how much I'll mark off the to-do list since I will be busy with them.  It's nice to break out of my routine even if it's only for a few hours.

We mostly stayed home over the weekend.  Our freezers and pantry are pretty well stocked and we made up our minds to get them emptied before replenishing.  The exceptions to this will be to buy perishables, only as needed.  Our garden isn't good this year.  We had a spell with too much rain then our tiller was not running.  By the time we got it fixed, the weeds had taken over.  We've got them under control and have replanted our beans three times.  It looks like the third time was successful, but I feel so far behind.  All of the squash had to be pulled up because the borers were killing the plants.  I only have a couple of little cucumber vines, so I don't know if I will get enough cukes to make pickles.  I have pickled some pepperoncini and jalapenos, but that's about it.

Well, I need to go put some chicken in the crockpot for supper.  Have a good day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn