Author Topic: popcorn  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Mountain Mama

popcorn
« on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
So what is your favorite method for making popcorn?  There are soooo many options.  Do you microwave, cook on stovetop in a pan, air pop?  Does it make a difference what brand of popcorn you use?  How do you store your popcorn?  Do you add toppings?  What, if any, oil do you use?

~Blessings~
  Cindy

Offline jrejhkids

Re: popcorn
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:56:36 PM »
I make popcorn a couple of different ways.  If on the stove top, I use olive oil in the pan and pop it.  If in the microwave, I have a Presto Power Pop that uses no oil in it.

We will sprinkle it with some butter, or cooking spray and then put some white cheddar popcorn seasoning on it.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
I like popcorn but it has a nasty habit of breaking my teeth! Not even the kernels but just eating popcorn. I eat very little of it now because I am so scared of breaking more teeth. I have done hot air poppers but because I eat so little of it, I now use microwave kind and I even seem to think the popcorn is a bit softer.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
We have a Stir Crazy my mom got us at a thrift store:  http://www.amazon.com/West-Bend-82306-6-Quart-Electric/dp/B00004RC6R/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395102909&sr=8-1&keywords=stir+crazy+popcorn+popper

We usually use the Stir Crazy with coconut oil for popping.  No particular brand of popcorn, but I do buy it organic due to most corn in the US being GMO these days.  Typically, I order 25 lbs at a time from Azure Standard.  I've tried white, yellow, and the multi-colored and prefer white.  I like it with real melted butter and some salt on top.

We also have a Whirly Pop pan we take camping.  The kind where you turn the crank to keep the popcorn moving.  And once in a while, if I just need a bit for a snack, I'll use the microwave method putting it in a glass bowl with a plate on top.  Usually for our crew, though, we make 2-3 batches in the Stir Crazy.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
We love popcorn, and have it frequently. We have the Presto microwave popper too, and we also keep microwave bags on hand for convenience. My dad always used to make it on the stove top in a heavy pan with oil and that was good.

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:06 AM »
We make it on the stovetop with our popcorn pot.  It is only used for popcorn and has the scorch marks to prove it!  Ha!  Doug is the official popcorn maker and, occasionally, if we are really lucky, he will make kettle corn.  It is kind of a pain so it doesn't happen often.  Like Catherine, I try to buy organic popcorn.  I used to get it at Trader Joe's but haven't been able to find it there recently.  I am considering joining a supermarket co-op and hope that is one of the items I can find there.

Denise

Offline Cathie

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 06:45:27 AM »
love popcorn  ;D

air popper used mostly sometimes I pop kernels in microwave in a paper bag

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
I eat popcorn just about every day!  I like Pop Secret's Homestyle 100 calories 'snack size' packs.  I cook it for about a minute longer than the directions, as I love it slightly overcoked  ;D

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:14 PM »
love popcorn  ;D

air popper used mostly sometimes I pop kernels in microwave in a paper bag

I absolutely hate popcorn so I never get it but I really should get some for the kids.  Its a great snack for them but since I don't eat it, I never think to buy it.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:16 PM »
I like popcorn...but only with loads of butter and salt. So, I do try to stay away from it. When I do make it, its in my air popper.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.