Author Topic: pizza crust  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Rooney

pizza crust
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:29 PM »
Anybody have a nice and simple pizza crust recipe that you really like?  Maybe one that you have used over and over and still like?  The one I used to make was too thick and "wheaty" tasting.  I have been being naughty lately and buying premade. ;) lol  Need to get back to making it.  Preferably a recipe that uses olive oil.  Thanks.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: pizza crust
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:43:59 PM »
We love this one.  My mom bought us one of these pizza ovens several years ago for Christmas. It wasn't practical for our bigger family so we returned it, but kept making this crust recipe.  We discovered recently that, if you leave out the sugar altogether, it makes a thinner crispier crust (which we like).  With the sugar, it's more like hand-tossed.  The crust recipe is just below the "Cajun" pizza recipe.  We make it into two large pizzas, though more often than not we now double it or at least make 1.5 times this amount to get three large pizzas.

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pizza/cajun.php

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »
We love this one.  My mom bought us one of these pizza ovens several years ago for Christmas. It wasn't practical for our bigger family so we returned it, but kept making this crust recipe.  We discovered recently that, if you leave out the sugar altogether, it makes a thinner crispier crust (which we like).  With the sugar, it's more like hand-tossed.  The crust recipe is just below the "Cajun" pizza recipe.  We make it into two large pizzas, though more often than not we now double it or at least make 1.5 times this amount to get three large pizzas.

This is the one I use.  We love it!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:19:03 AM »
I use Pioneer Woman's crust recipe (within this recipe for fig prosciutto arugula pizza) when I'm making homemade.  Though lately, we've also been buying pre made as well and just freezing it.  88¢ isn't too terrible for a bit of convenience in my mind  ;D.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/fig-prosciutto-pizza-with-arugula/

MAndy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »

Oh good!  This one can be made thicker or thinner.  And you can double the recipe?  So I guess it would work to triple or quadruple it as well?  If I add the sugar I could probably just triple it.  Takes a lot to fill these guys up,(6 pizzas if that is all, or 4 if there is a big salad and another side) so I guess it would need to be hand tossed.  But thin crust is just so good!  Would it work to mix it in a Bosche?

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »

I don't see why not.  It's a really easy dough to work with so I usually just do it by hand, with those quantities the mixer might be easier.

Oh good!  This one can be made thicker or thinner.  And you can double the recipe?  So I guess it would work to triple or quadruple it as well?  If I add the sugar I could probably just triple it.  Takes a lot to fill these guys up,(6 pizzas if that is all, or 4 if there is a big salad and another side) so I guess it would need to be hand tossed.  But thin crust is just so good!  Would it work to mix it in a Bosche?

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:38 PM »
I use the same recipe Mandy does. We love it.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
I use Pioneer Woman's crust recipe (within this recipe for fig prosciutto arugula pizza) when I'm making homemade.  Though lately, we've also been buying pre made as well and just freezing it.  88¢ isn't too terrible for a bit of convenience in my mind  ;D.

MAndy
Mandy, do you ever NOT leave the dough in the fridge for the day or 2 it says to?  If you don't does it still turn out OK?   I don't think that far in advance. ;) ;) :) :)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »

MAndy
Mandy, do you ever NOT leave the dough in the fridge for the day or 2 it says to?  If you don't does it still turn out OK?   I don't think that far in advance. ;) ;) :) :)

Oh shoot, I NEVER leave it in the fridge that long.  I'm lucky if I can wait the hour or two!  It's fine :)

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥