Author Topic: Tomato Paste - Ingredient of the day 1/22/14  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Tomato Paste - Ingredient of the day 1/22/14
« on: January 22, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
I have cans and cans of the stuff that I got on a case lot sale last fall.  I typically use it when making lasagna, spaghetti sauce, and tomato gravy.  Anybody have some other uses?
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Tomato Paste - Ingredient of the day 1/22/14
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
Pizza sauce-12 oz tomato paste, 1 TBSP dried oregano, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, and 6-8 shakes of cayenne pepper depending on how much spice you like.  Mix this together with 6 oz of water.  Makes enough for 3-4 large pizzas (we like heavy sauce, so 3 here).

In sloppy joes.

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »
That brings on another question... Do you have a good crust recipe?   ;D
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
This has been our favorite for many years now.  We returned the pizza oven we got for Christmas one year but loved the crust recipe so kept making it.  Scroll down past the Cajun pizza instructions for the crust recipe below.  We use it for two thin crusts as written.  http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pizza/cajun.php

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
Pizza and pasta sauce, taco meat, chicken tortilla soup.  I buy a few cans every time I hit Aldi, so we have quite a stockpile :)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
This has been our favorite for many years now.  We returned the pizza oven we got for Christmas one year but loved the crust recipe so kept making it.  Scroll down past the Cajun pizza instructions for the crust recipe below.  We use it for two thin crusts as written.  http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/pizza/cajun.php

I made pizza last night using this crust recipe.  Everyone loved it!  It was very simple to mix together and had a great taste.

Have you ever mixed up the dough ahead of time and refrigerated it overnight?  I have a recipe I use to do this, but like the taste of the one you posted better.  I may try this next week.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:12:56 AM »

I made pizza last night using this crust recipe.  Everyone loved it!  It was very simple to mix together and had a great taste.

Have you ever mixed up the dough ahead of time and refrigerated it overnight?  I have a recipe I use to do this, but like the taste of the one you posted better.  I may try this next week.

I seem to remember doing that once when we had a change of plans and it came out fine.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.  You're right, it is so simple to make yet our favorite so far (and I have tried MANY recipes looking for one we really enjoyed).

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the recipe!  I'll add it to the menu next week.  Trev loves pizza more than most things, so I'm sure he'll thank you too.  :)