The Kitchen Table Visiting Corner > Anything Goes!

Life Without A Dishwasher?

(1/6) > >>

RenKnitter:
I have always had a dishwasher.  Two years ago we had to replace the one we had and it is an energy efficient water saving model.  I HATE this thing.  Even on the light cycle it takes forever to finish a cycle - I do not use the heated drying.  Everyone I talk to that has a newer model says the same thing.

This one started leaking from the door the other day, and I have been doing dishes by hand.  It does not take long ( there are three of us ), I am finished, I am not stuck at home while the thing runs ( I will not go off and leave it running, but I know that some people do).  I have been having to run it twice a day.  Doing it by hand just seems so much easier.

I was wondering if any of you ladies have any thoughts on this?

wrancher:
I agree that sometimes it is just easier to wash by hand and then you know they are clean. ALTHOUGH i got  a new dishwasher not so long ago and a plumber came and did some fixing for the installation and now I love that thing. But when I was doing dishes by hand I stayed more organized because I had to or we would be too far behind.

Janice

RenKnitter:
But when I was doing dishes by hand I stayed more organized because I had to or we would be too far behind.

I have also found that you need fewer things because they are washed and ready to go.  There is just something about me that hates to have to go back and empty the dishwasher later.  I sometimes get to doing other things and forget, then it is time to start another meal and the dishwasher is full.

One thing that even my husband noticed is that the new dishwasher will not hold as much as the others we have had.  A plumber we had here doing some work told my husband that they meet new standards by allowing fewer dishes, since they have to use less water. 

Proudmama:
In our more than twenty years together, we only had a dishwasher for four of those years.  We haven't had one in our house since we moved in 11 years ago and I never wish that we had one.  I honestly don't feel it is that big of a deal to do the dishes.  Like you said, even if the dishwasher washes the dishes, someone still has to put them away!  It doesn't take any time to do them unless I have made a big meal with many pots and pans or it has been a big baking and cooking day.  I know many people would never choose to live without their dishwasher so it all depends on your personal preference.

Denise

Shelly:
We've been doing this all week, but for a different reason.  A few things I've noticed: 

1) We have stopped using a cup once and then putting it in the sink.  We rinse and reuse all day. 

2)  There is NO dish pileup at all; my sink is nearly empty 100% of the time.  I fill up the sink as I'm making breakfast and wash as I go and then wash right after the meal.  I repeat for lunch and dinner.  It takes just a few seconds to wash.

3) Pots are a little bit of a pain, but I realized that I'd scrub them before putting them in the dishwasher anyway because my washer can't handle pieces of food, so it's only slightly more of an effort in my case.

So far, I don't regret my decision to go hand wash only.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version