The Kitchen Table Visiting Corner > Anything Goes!

Tax on groceries?

(1/4) > >>

greyhoundgirl:
I think we had a thread on this at one point on the other board.  Being in Dallas this weekend, I bought a few things at stores that we don't have here (Costco and Kroger) and noticed there is no tax on groceries there.  That's a BIG savings right there!  Anyway, we pay 8.85% tax here in Oklahoma where I live (I think it varies by county due to county tax).  No tax at the commissary but they charge a 5% surcharge plus the baggers work only for tips and you can't get away from that unless you use the self checkout (and must have less than 15 items to do that).  So usually, I pay 5% plus at least $5, more for a really large grocery order, so about what tax would be anyway.

Are groceries taxed where you live?  And is it everything or just "luxury" items like sodas?

jrejhkids:
Here in Idaho we pay 6% tax on all groceries.  It usually ends up about $21 a month for us.  That adds up.

Proudmama:
I answered but my reply seems to have been eaten!  We do not pay tax on food at the grocery store unless it is a prepared food such as fried chicken, etc.  We do pay tax on paper products and toiletries.  That tax is 6%.  There is also no tax on clothing that is considered a necessity.  Bathing suits apparently aren't a necessity so they are taxed.  That tax is also 6%.

Denise

mooremama:
I pay a 2% tax on food and a 7% tax on non-food items.  I'm not sure what "luxury items" are taxed...as food or non-food.  It's hard to figure out because the tax is added as a lump sum at the bottom of the receipt and not listed per item.  Hmmmm.....

Edited to add....I just looked up the NC food tax on the NC Dept of Revenue site and prepared food, candy and soft drinks do not qualify for the 2% tax, they're taxed at 7% in my county.  Also, the 2% food tax is straight across the board, the 7% tax is broken down to 4.75% state and then my county adds another 2.25% for a total of 7%.   

Learned something new today...thanks Catherine.  :D

Beth

Cheryl:
We regularly shop in 2 towns.  The taxes there are 8% and 9% on all items. 

It definitely adds up!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version