Author Topic: Thrusday, June 4, 2015  (Read 1369 times)

Offline wrancher

Thrusday, June 4, 2015
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:19:43 AM »
Good Morning

Offline wrancher

Re: Thrusday, June 4, 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 06:32:28 AM »
Its raining. And I am still thankful it is raining even though we cant get in the fields. We got all done branding yesterday and I couldnt be happier.  Today will be a muddy mess trying to test bulls in the rain. I have to do some bookwork and get caught up on housework. I am thinking we might not be camping this weekend as we need to get cows to summer pasture and our neighbor wants to brand. But Saturday it is suppose to rain also. Still up in air if we get to go.  I need to haul some more food stuff out to camper and my clothes.  So excited to just be at the house today and finish what I get started.  I am thinking I may not get garden area tilled so I need to get a few more empty tub containers up here to plant in. Our mineral comes in these tan plastic 250 lbs. containers when full and when you are done you are to just throw them away. Even in front of our church they use them so they look nice. I will go out after it quits raining and put in some herb seeds. I have cilantro, rosemary, and I cant remeber what else. It will be a long time before I get to nursery so I need to get everything going.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »
Good morning!

Having coffee and thinking about the day.  I need to work on some weeding before it warms up too much.  We've been blessed with cooler-than-normal temps so far this year (usually 90's in April) but have hit those 90's this week.  It has been a rude awakening to this old body after having 70's for so long....was getting spoiled, lol.  Plus, each day I have to go out and weave the cucumbers and now the vining squashes through their lattices to keep them growing vertically instead of all over.  I'm also thinking of planting some pole beans among the corn, though now that is has warmed up, I'm not sure I should bother (beans don't seem to set fruit here once we get into the 90's).

We were supposed to hike today but my friend Bonnie messaged me yesterday to ask if we could go then instead.  So, we did.  Kept it short but went to a favorite spot to see how it looks with more water.  :) 

This cough/chest congestion thing has had me down for several days now (from working in a flooded house last week), but I think I am finally on the mend after 3 days of taking oregano oil capsules.  Will keep up with those for a few more days to be sure.  Hoping to have more energy to get some things done around here....still haven't mopped the kitchen and it needs it, for sure.

Dinner tonight is baked steak along with zucchini, red potatoes, and onions, all sliced and sauteed together. 

Catherine

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 07:53:59 AM »
Good Morning Janice, Catherine, and all that follow. :)

Got an earlier start this morning despite being out fairly late last night running around the next city over.  So thought I would get in an early post here today. :)  Went to Dollar tree and several other stores hoping to find some organizational baskets I had seen online, but no luck, so I will have to order online I guess.  Home Depot had lots of Heirloom Burpee seeds so we got lots of those.  Got some more cukes, carrots, summer squash, and an assortment of peppers.  Also got some herbs as well.  I tried herbs last year, but they didn't do well, so I am thinking I may plant them in their own little separate containers and leave them in the start nursery area to keep an extra eye on them this time.  Got basil, thyme and cilantro.  Need to throw some oregano seeds I have in fridge in their too.  Spices are so expensive at the store, because Simply Organic is the only one I have found that sells the nonirradiated ones, so fresh will be great.

Planning to spend some of the late afternoon and early evening in the greenhouse today.  We have to finish filling the beds with the new dirt.  Then will get the starts going for those later this evening.  Still need to go get more concrete blocks, maybe this weekend for the last four beds in there.  I need to go through and thin out some of the kale because it is getting too thick to walk down the aisles.  We are starting to have tomatoes running out our ears.  Thinking I might cut up and roast some tonight will olive oil and herbs as a side at supper.  Too many to eat, but not really enough to can.  Oh, and my sweet hubby bought me some yellow daisies last night for my front porch planters, so want to get those planted today as well.  They are so pretty and yellow is my favorite color!  So much to get done outside this time of year, along with all the inside stuff we are fixing.  It is getting overwhelming, but we are just doing a little every day and eventually it will add up.  Really need to get the shading on the greenhouse soon, but that is about a four hour deal, so it is still not done.  I can't believe we were talking about how we have to start getting the firewood pile for winter started in the next weeks so it will have time to cure.  Crazy.

Well, I have rambled on enough and laundry is calling my name.  Need to get someone to run a broom over the floors cause they tracked in lots of dirt yesterday evening.  Why am I the only one that can remember to take off my shoes when I come inside?  Probably because I am the only one that dirt on the floor bothers. ;)

Janice, hope your herbs turn out well too!

Catherine, glad you are feeling better.

Have a good day.
Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:25 AM »
Lindsay, that's too bad about the baskets.  Hope you find what you need somewhere.  I am thinking any excess kale would be great nibbles for chickens.  ;)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
Lindsay, that's too bad about the baskets.  Hope you find what you need somewhere.  I am thinking any excess kale would be great nibbles for chickens.  ;)

Found the exact baskets I need for my bathroom organizing project at kohls online.....gotta measure, but if they are the right size, I am getting them. 
Been trying to locate the vanity we bought from Lowes several years ago so we can replace the leaky sink bowl.  No luck on that, so I may have to take pictures of it and take it to the store to see if they can find it.  It was special order, so who knows?

I was thinking the same thing about the kale.  We were just going to start throwing it into compost tumblers for now.  Wondering if chickens would eat chard and tomato plants as well?  We have lots of excess on some of this stuff.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »

Found the exact baskets I need for my bathroom organizing project at kohls online.....gotta measure, but if they are the right size, I am getting them. 
Been trying to locate the vanity we bought from Lowes several years ago so we can replace the leaky sink bowl.  No luck on that, so I may have to take pictures of it and take it to the store to see if they can find it.  It was special order, so who knows?

I was thinking the same thing about the kale.  We were just going to start throwing it into compost tumblers for now.  Wondering if chickens would eat chard and tomato plants as well?  We have lots of excess on some of this stuff.

Yes to chard...not sure about tomato plants.  They have such a weird smell, but then they go for most green stuff if it's still IN the garden, so maybe they would?

Offline wrancher

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:16:24 PM »
Yes you can put anything to chickens. I usually pull garden and let chickens pick through then throw in compost. They eat tomato leaves but the stems are too coarse for them. The chickens love kitchen scrap like when I peel cucumbers, deseed peppers, etc.