Author Topic: Monday, August 22, 2016  (Read 765 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Monday, August 22, 2016
« on: August 22, 2016, 06:47:15 AM »
Good Morning,
It’s Monday and the weather is beautiful today.

Saturday we had a nice morning but the afternoon turned tumultuous as we had tornado warnings and touchdowns here in West Michigan. We happened to be at a local mall at one of the smaller stores and when exiting the store we heard sirens. Staff was posted at the door getting ready to do a lockdown as the tornado was heading right in that direction. We were leaving so we left and drove right into the path, unknowingly, since we didn’t know details yet. As I drove towards a highway the weather became very ugly and I could no longer see the road. Hubby told me I could not stop on the TOP of the overpass and that I had to take the circle that would take me underneath the highway where he wanted me to stop UNDER the overpass and wait it out. So did other drivers so we weren’t very well protected but better than nothing. It was loud, windy, rainy, and scary while we waited the few minutes as the tornado passed over us. We couldn’t see it because of the rain but the news people were telling us where we shouldn’t be but that is exactly where we were. In a few minutes it passed over us and touched down a couple of miles away. We drove home carefully and there were trees down in the road and a large road sign down on the highway. We got home a few minutes later and thankfully no damage there. Lots of tree branches down on our way home and then the weather was already clearing up. There was lots of damage where the storm was at its worst but I do not believe there were any injuries.

The weather has been pleasant since and much cooler than we have been having. Later my dad called and wanted us to come over and garden with him for a while. He wanted to pull some carrots for dinner and wanted me to help him “while the ground was nice and soft” for harvesting.

I have meetings here at work today so I’m unsure what time I’ll get home. Dinner is leftovers from yesterday which was grilled bratwurst and hotdogs with apple pie or apple crisp. Everyone is working so dinner will be whenever since people will come and go much of the day. Busy, busy!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline 4kidsmom

Re: Monday, August 22, 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 07:04:56 AM »
Good morning!

Wow, life was busy lately.  We finished the tree project and got right into getting ready for school.  School started on Wednesday the 17th.  Today, my baby, Nathan, has his kindergarten assessment and then he starts school on Wednesday the 23rd. 

The weather is cooling off.  Mornings are wonderfully cool.  Afternoons are still hot but not as hot as it has been.  Evenings are still warm but there are nice breezes so it's pleasant.  I'm really looking forward to fall!

Today I have laundry and house pickup to do.  I also need to do some advance cooking/baking for school breakfast and lunches.  My high schoolers go early for football workouts/seminary so they need portable breakfasts.  With Nathan starting school, I will have 3 hours to myself M-H and 2 hours on Fridays (Fridays are early out).  So I want to make a plan of how I'm going to use that time.  I have a big long list of house projects I want to do and there's church work I need to do also.

Dinner tonight will be fish tacos, cajun beans and rice, green salad and fruit.

Have a great day!

Alice, I'm glad you're safe!  I've never experienced a tornado--that sounds scary!

Merilee

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 07:38:41 AM »
Glad you're safe, Alice!  Tornadoes are common for our area, but it's something I'll never get used to and they are scary!

Our weather is supposed to be a little cooler this week.  I am so looking forward to fall.  The heat and humidity of this summer really took a lot out of me.  Add in the drought and it was worse than usual.

Today I need to finish up laundry and mop my kitchen.  If I have time, I'd like to go through the bookshelf in my bedroom and see how many books I can get rid of.  It seems I am constantly decluttering something, but can't see a big difference. 

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:13 AM »
Good morning, everyone!  It has been quite a long time since I have posted.

We were away from August 1 until August 19.  Doug's sister rents a house in Myrtle Beach for the month of August every year.  This is the longest we have ever stayed.  Doug and I and the girls were there for the whole time.  Zac and his girlfriend were with us for the last week we were there.  Corey was unable to come for various reasons.  It was a great vacation and we hated to come home!

Back to reality today.  Well, actually, reality started as soon as we walked in the door on Friday night.  We found out when we got home that someone stole Doug's social security number and opened a credit card with it so we spent most of Saturday calling the credit card company, filing a police report, etc.  He has to call Social Security today and have an alert put on his number.  I am sure that will result in a whole lot of fun when it comes time to file our income tax return.  Ugh and groan.

Doug went back to work today.  I have a doctor's appointment this morning and then need to tackle the laundry, dishes and other things around here.  Molly doesn't go back to school until September 8, but I think her classes are up online today so we will be checking that.  Madelyn starts next Monday, but she is registered and won't get her books until after her first day of classes.  I am hoping I have very little back to school shopping to do as I have a lot of pens, pencils, notebooks, etc.

I feel today is going to be a struggle getting used to reality again!  😄

Denise