Author Topic: Favorite smartphone apps?  (Read 2305 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Favorite smartphone apps?
« on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
Just finally made my way into the smartphone era last week and am trying to get all my "stuff" set up on it.  It's a bit of a project in itself.  I had bought an ebook about going digital with home management and am trying some ideas from that (using Evernote and Remember the Milk apps) but have a way to go yet.  Anyone have a favorite app or two to share?  And if you would, would you please tell me what you use it for?

Any other Ting users out there?  This is what we went with to keep our monthly cost low (we think we can stay under $30 per month for both Earl and I once he gets his phone).  I bought a refurbished Samsung Galaxy SIII and am really liking it so far...looks like new.

Offline Proudmama

Re: Favorite smartphone apps?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »
I have an iPhone so am not sure if the apps are the same for all types of phones but here are some that I have.

Starbucks has an app and I believe you can use it to replace gift cards which is way easier.

Target also has an app which I do not really use much but, if you shop there frequently, I think you can get coupons on it.

I also have Buycott, CFS and ShopNoGMO which helps you know which products to buy if you do not wish to by GMOs and I also believe there are a few other features.

I also have the Facebook, Instagram and Goodreads apps on my phone as well as my iPad.

Enjoy the phone!

Denise

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »
I really can't afford a cell phone other than my tracfone which is about $8 per month. I also don't live with my cell glued to my ear but I do have a tablet that I really like. I can only connect to internet at the free places or in my home and I do like some apps on that.  Are tablet apps the same as phone apps? I only download free apps and so far it works for me. It's a Nexus 7 that I got free when we moved and got a triple play package for the home--tv, internet and phone.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
I have an iPhone so am not sure if the apps are the same for all types of phones but here are some that I have.

Starbucks has an app and I believe you can use it to replace gift cards which is way easier.

Target also has an app which I do not really use much but, if you shop there frequently, I think you can get coupons on it.

I also have Buycott, CFS and ShopNoGMO which helps you know which products to buy if you do not wish to by GMOs and I also believe there are a few other features.

I also have the Facebook, Instagram and Goodreads apps on my phone as well as my iPad.

Enjoy the phone!

Denise

Thanks, Denise!  I will have to look and see if these are available for Android.  Is Cartwheel the Target one you mean?  I have it on my computer.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
I really can't afford a cell phone other than my tracfone which is about $8 per month. I also don't live with my cell glued to my ear but I do have a tablet that I really like. I can only connect to internet at the free places or in my home and I do like some apps on that.  Are tablet apps the same as phone apps? I only download free apps and so far it works for me. It's a Nexus 7 that I got free when we moved and got a triple play package for the home--tv, internet and phone.

Alice

If your tablet has an Android operating system I believe they are the same.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
Regular iPhone user here!  I regularly use Facebook, Twitter (through the Echophone app), Pinterest, Weather Channel, my credit union's app, YouTube, Bible (FANTASTIC!), Feedly (for reading blogs), Instagram, GoodReads, Lose It, OverDrive (for ebooks, audio books, etc. from the library), Spider Solitaire, and Jean and I recently started playing Candy Crush Saga.  All of these are free.

Enjoy your new toy!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
Regular iPhone user here!  I regularly use Facebook, Twitter (through the Echophone app), Pinterest, Weather Channel, my credit union's app, YouTube, Bible (FANTASTIC!), Feedly (for reading blogs), Instagram, GoodReads, Lose It, OverDrive (for ebooks, audio books, etc. from the library), Spider Solitaire, and Jean and I recently started playing Candy Crush Saga.  All of these are free.

Enjoy your new toy!

M

Thanks, Mandy!  I'm especially excited to hear about Feedly.  While I still plan to do most of my online time on the laptop, it would sure be nice to have a way to read a few favorite blogs while traveling.  :)

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
Catherine - The app I have is just a Target app.  I have not heard of Cartwheel.  All of the apps I mentioned were free for my phone.  I never pay for apps.

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
Catherine - The app I have is just a Target app.  I have not heard of Cartwheel.  All of the apps I mentioned were free for my phone.  I never pay for apps.

Denise

Cartwheel is free as well.  It "clips" Target coupons for you...it is a Target thing (by their company)...you  might be interested.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:01:20 AM »
We felt for a long time that we could not afford smartphones as well, and weren't sure if we wanted another techno gadget, quite honestly.  The monthly fees with Ting, though, should be pretty comparable to what we were paying for our "dumb" phones when we had them (we have done without any for a few months now), maybe slightly higher depending on our usage (if out of town or whatever).  The deciding factor, though, was the camera.  Both the iphone and the Samsung Galaxy have good cameras--we debated between the two (refurbished, they are both similar in price).  I am forever forgetting the camera at home and will appreciate not having to carry one anyway.  :)  Also, as an active homeschool family, we are out and about so much  more than when the kids were smaller, and there are times when I have really missed having at least some sort of cell phone to get directions, last minute clarification, etc... .  So, we decided it was time.  The phones have come out of our tax refund and the monthly payments will fit into our budget, a bit tightly the next three months, but more easily after that (when the VA disability kicks in).