The Barn and Fields > Gardening

2015 Gardening Plans

<< < (2/3) > >>

Cheryl:
Jennie, walking onions form small bulbs at the top of the stalk, when the stalk falls over, the bulbs take root and you have more plants.  My grandmother had these for years but mine only lasted a couple years before they disappeared.  Last year I put a couple of bulbs in a flower pot and started more.  Hopefully I can get my patch going again.  This website tells all about them -

www.egyptianwalkingonion.com

gaggleofseven:
Cheryl, thanks for the great information. I had never heard of walking onions--very fascinating.

gaggleofseven:
Catherine, do the purple carrots taste like the orange? Could I grow carrots in raised beds? Ours are about 10" deep, so not much room for downward expansion.

I just put another blanket on my lap. It's cold, and I'm ready for Spring!  ;)

greyhoundgirl:

--- Quote from: gaggleofseven on December 17, 2014, 08:42:03 PM ---Catherine, do the purple carrots taste like the orange? Could I grow carrots in raised beds? Ours are about 10" deep, so not much room for downward expansion.

I just put another blanket on my lap. It's cold, and I'm ready for Spring!  ;)

--- End quote ---

Pretty much.  We've also done yellow ones and they are extra sweet.  I think you'd be fine with about 10 inches...we grow ours in raised beds.

greyhoundgirl:
Southern Seed Savers Exchange catalog arrived yesterday, so I hope to spend a little time planning today.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version