The Barn and Fields > Animals and Homesteading

Talk to Me About Chickens!

<< < (5/5)

greyhoundgirl:

--- Quote from: MissMandy on June 03, 2015, 03:53:00 PM ---We didn't, but we haven't ruled it out for the future.  Technically we are zoned residential and aren't allowed chickens, though I believe that several people in the neighborhood have them.  I go back and forth all the time :)

I have been reading 'Little Farm in the Suburbs' lately, and the chapter on urban chickens does a good job of addressing chickens (i.e.: yuck factor :) ) honestly.

Mandy

--- End quote ---

Oh, are you reading the  book?  I used to read the blog a couple years back and stumbled across it again last week.

Rooney:

--- Quote from: wrancher on June 03, 2015, 01:23:55 PM ---They lay eggs no matter what without a rooster. A rooster fertilizes the egg to incubate and make baby chicks. 

--- End quote ---

Ha! Finally!  Someone gives me the "birds and the bees" talk on chickens! lol :)

Hubby went up to the neighbors today to get a trailer load of composted dirt and they have lots of chickens....sooooo he asked the same stupid question as me about the rooster.......after comparing notes, we get it.lol :)  We have been talking about this off and on this evening and are thinking we may just go ahead and get started.  Oh my, another project!!!

What would be the best breed that you would recommend for my geographical area?

greyhoundgirl:
I think you'd be fine with most standard breeds since you don't have extreme cold or heat (compared with NE or SW temps).  Buff Orpingtons tend to be sweet and tame and good with kids.  We've also success with Black Australorps, Black Sex-links (a cross between a Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red, I believe), Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks (also very tame, and so pretty!), Easter Eggers, and various Red Sex-links (ISAs, Cinnamon Queens, and other various names depending on the breeds crossed--ours were luck of the draw from the feed store so we didn't know specifically which they were), and Salmon Faverolles.  Leghorns tend to be more skittish but do lay very well.

MissMandy:

--- Quote from: greyhoundgirl on June 03, 2015, 06:19:06 PM ---
Oh, are you reading the  book?  I used to read the blog a couple years back and stumbled across it again last week.

--- End quote ---

I am!  I picked it up a while back at our local book fair for just a few bucks, but just started reading it.  I love how down-to-earth they speak about everything.  I don't feel so dumb :)

Mandy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version