Author Topic: Saturday, December 7, 2013  (Read 1946 times)

Offline wrancher

Saturday, December 7, 2013
« on: December 07, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »
Good Morning

Only -13 this morning. At one point yesterday it was-22. Boy you know you are getting adjusted (never really can get adjusted) to the weather when yesterday walking into a store it seemed nice out. No wind, sun was kinda shining and a balmy -9 and it felt nice out. When someone was complaining all I could think about is if I were home breaking water for cows it would not feel nice out. Enjoy what you can.

So terrible quilt feeling leaving DH and kids to do chores while DD and I go to bball tourney and a motel with pool. DD has 2 friends on her team having bdays and we couldnt decide what to get them so a quick stop at Scheels after game.  We might go to a womans college game tonight and surprise the girls. Then I leave before last games tomorrow to come home for baby shower. I still need to find a ride for DD but someone will take her. We need to leave by 630 to get to game at 830. I will check in tonight

Have a great day

Janice

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
Re: Saturday, December 7, 2013
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Wow Janice! We have -3* this morning and Kevin brought the kerosene heater in to help for a bit. LOL Good luck at the tournament today. Have fun.

Good morning ladies,

I am so not enjoying this cold snap. I don't think it has been this cold for a few winters. Spring can't come soon enough for me.  :( We are going to go see Kevin's mom in a little while. We normally go on Sunday, but they are calling for snow to move in tonight, so we figured we'd better go today.  ;)

I did laundry and got groceries yesterday. The constant in and out of the cold really wore me out. I was in bed by 9 last night.  :o That never happens. I even slept till 6 this morning. Guess I needed the rest. I feel fine today, so all is good.  :) I am going to start a crock pot of beans in a bit. Just had breakfast of a couple of mandarin oranges and some Greek yogurt. The plan for today is to work on the grandkids' drawstring backpacks and maybe start the pillowcases. I just need to put the grommets and strings in the backpacks. I washed up all the fabric I will need for pillowcases yesterday. Also washed all my throw rugs, that Angel had peed all over. Now that wasn't a pleasant job. I wasn't sure the odor and stain would come out of them, but they did. Nothing much on tv so I am sure we will spend the afternoon watching Christmas movies.

Never did decide on the Christmas candy. If I make anything too early, I will not stay out of it. Since we are having our Christmas celebration on the 21st, I may make some candy on the 20th and take it all with me. LOL I know myself. If candy is here, especially homemade candy, I am not going to leave it alone. LOL I will just make the basic standbys like fudge and peanut clusters, and maybe dip some pretzels in chocolate. I used to make peanut butter bonbons, date balls, coconut bonbons, and cherry mashes, but decided that is too much work. LOL Not to even count how much the ingredients cost in this day and age.  ??? I figure simple is better as I get older.  ;D

You all have a great day and stay warm.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Good morning!

My kids spent the night at our friends' house last night and Earl is over there now for the Bedlam game, so I get the house to myself for a few hours.  Love it!  Doesn't happen often enough with homeschooling.

It's still chilly for here, up to 11 last I saw, but negative with windchill.  I can't find my gloves since we so rarely need them so my hands about froze getting rabbit feed and putting out feed for the birds.  We moved the rabbit into the garage temporarily just while it's so cold.  She probably would be fine out there but we figured we should play it safe.

I just spent a little time researching flights and hotels.  I'm looking into a certification program for something I'd like to do as a part-time WAHM career, and I can do it in 9 months online schooling (with what I already know) but would need to go for intensive classes in person for 3 weekends this coming year.  You can choose San Francisco, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland, or Arlington, VA.  From what I can see, Minneapolis will be the best option financially based on cost to fly there and for the hotel.  Now, I have to see if I can still get in and get financial aid for it.

I've got a load of laundry in and will probably try to mop the floors while everyone is gone.  Then maybe bake some cookies.  I have some knitting on a hat for one of the girls yet to do, so after I get the rest done I may watch something and work on that to chill.

Have a great weekend!
Catherine

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »
Good afternoon. It's cold, though not below zero. I'm like you, Winona--ready for Spring! I'm looking forward to the seed catalogs in the mail.  ;)

We ran a few errands early this morning. I've been working on the laundry, and I put sweet potato & black bean chili in the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. I'm enjoying a leisurely pace today, and it's very nice. I'm going to fill the bread machine later with a part whole wheat loaf to go along with the chili.

I got out some wool blend yarns to knit hats for the little ones. They have some acrylic hats but I don't think they're as warm as wool. I'll have one of the girls cast on the stitches for me as I haven't mastered that skill yet.

Today we're watching football and keeping warm.  :)

Have a great day!
Jennie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:35:47 AM by gaggleofseven »
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
Catherine, I hope you can finish your knitting. I'm not very adept, but the pattern I'm using is very simple so maybe I'll be okay!  ;D Enjoy the quiet!!

Isn't it always nice when everyone comes back home though?  :)
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »
Catherine, I hope you can finish your knitting. I'm not very adept, but the pattern I'm using is very simple so maybe I'll be okay!  ;D Enjoy the quiet!!

Isn't it always nice when everyone comes back home though?  :)

Yes, as long as they've been gone at least 4 hours, lol.  :)  I love them dearly but 24/7 sometimes wears on this introvert.

I'm not terribly great at knitting, either.  Used to be a little better but I do so little any more that I'm out of practice and slow.  Oh well, at least this is just a hat.  I hope yours goes okay, too.

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Good afternoon!!
I spent yesterday afternoon making cookies and snacky foods in case we lost power due to the weather. We didnt, thank God. But, we did get about 6 inches of snow. Tomorrow we have another storm moving in and are expecting ice with this one.

Today I've spent the afternoon dipping pretzels in chocolate. I'm using these for presents for some on my list. I've got decorative tins and I dipped the pretzels in hersheys white chocolate and drizzled green and red chocolate over them. They are pretty!

Tonight we are going to my parents house for a lasagna dinner. We are also going to watch the Ohio state game. My little niece Mya will be there. She's 2 and such a joy! I want children of my own so badly, but I dont think it will ever happen for me. But I trust the Lord knows whats right.

You ladies stay warm and have a wonderful Saturday!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.