Author Topic: New Years Day Food  (Read 1530 times)

shedrinkzcoffee

New Years Day Food
« on: December 29, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »
Do you all have anything special to eat on New Years Day? 

We usually have pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes but I am unsure if we will do that this year. 

Wondering if others have a special menu or just make whatever is planned on the menu  ;D

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: New Years Day Food
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:18 AM »
We always have to eat black eyed peas!  It's a hard and fast rule in my family.  My super-logical dad, educated with a masters degree in city planning and who spent 20 years as an engineer in the Navy, is so superstitious about this that I grew up thinking it was a dietary requirement to eat black eyed peas on New Years!  So, anyway, we'll be having black eyed peas in the ham juice leftover from Christmas (as sort of a soup, maybe with some ramen noodles) and collard greens.  Really getting in touch with my southern roots, I suppose!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
We eat black eyed peas here too.  I usually make Hoppin' John but this year I'm going to change it up and make a dip called Cowboy Caviar. ;)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 12:07:16 PM »
We eat black eyed peas here too.  I usually make Hoppin' John but this year I'm going to change it up and make a dip called Cowboy Caviar. ;)

Oooh, that sounds yummy!  I might whip up some cornbread or some of the corn pudding we had for Thanksgiving to go along with our soup.

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
We don't do anything special on New Year's Day, food-wise, but on New Year's Eve we do appetizers for dinner and have an assortment.  The kids really love this and look forward to it.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
We always have pork, black eyed peas and collards.

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »
Oyster stew when I was growing up. Since I have been married we do appetizers and munch all day long.

Maleesa