Author Topic: Super simplifying the kitchen...would you? Could you?  (Read 4783 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Super simplifying the kitchen...would you? Could you?
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
I posted this link on my fb this morning after reading it.  Still mulling it over mentally.  Project 333 (where you live with 33 clothing items for 3 months) has a kitchen challenge coming up where you eat 33 food items for 3 months (not counting spices, olive oil, and other seasoning type stuff).  So now this is on my mind...it seems a bit insane to try with kids and having to pack their lunches, but I think I will put a little time into seeing if I could do it, practically.  Seems like it would/could be a good way to save money, especially if some of those ingredients are beans or lentils.  I think I am going to start by listing the foods we typically would use in a week, count them up, and start eliminating.

Anyone else have thoughts?  Do you like these kind of challenges?  I guess I do, for some reason.  :P  Maybe to keep my logic skills functioning.  ;)  Here's the link if you want to read the rules yourself:  http://bemorewithless.com/kitchen/

I am thinking it might be worth at least doing a one month run of it for me, just for kicks and to keep costs down in January.  And then maybe rotate just a bit the 33 items for February based on what produce is more available and cheaper, and eliminating whatever items we got really tired of in January (different fruits, for instance).

Offline Rooney

Re: Super simplifying the kitchen...would you? Could you?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:39 AM »
I already kinda do this.  Well, not 33 exactly.  I have certain meals I fix.  I chose ones that everyone likes and rotate them.   I once read where a mom of 15 did this to simplify day to day life for her.  She chose 7 suppers, 7 lunches, and 4 breakfast that all would eat and alternated them.  All healthy choices.   It works with the simplicity, but I don't know much about the costing less part. (guess it would depend on which meals you chose)  There is less going to waste this way though. The down side is when I want to make something different, I have to plan ahead, because most likely I will be missing at least one ingredient.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
I am seriously thinking of doing this, at least for one month.  I've been thinking about it this afternoon and have a partial preliminary list.

Beef
Chicken
Sausage

Potatoes
Onions
Carrots
Cabbage
Spaghetti squash
tomato sauce
apples
oranges
frozen berry blend
frozen strawberries
frozen broccoli

oats
flour
cornmeal (or maybe popcorn and can grind it)
sugar
cocoa
almonds (would use to also make almond milk and meal)

milk
eggs
cream
cream cheese
mozzarella
Cheddar

coffee
tea bags

elbow macaroni (could be used for spaghetti sauce or mac and cheese)

This leaves 3 slots for whatever fruits and veggies are in season and/or sounding good.  I would also use butter but would probably count that with the olive oil, spices, etc... .

Just adding that I left off pinto beans when transferring my list over earlier.  Those would make the 30 items.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:27:11 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
I just made my monthly main list real quick to see how close to 33 I am.  That is actually not that easy to do!  I shop monthly and in bulk and still my number of "every month" items for rotated meals and snacks was over 50 items.

Good luck on your challenge! :)  Too hard for me!

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
To answer your questions- would I?  Yes
                                       could I?  I'm not sure

I've been giving this some thought since you mentioned it this afternoon.  I'd love to give it a try, at least for a month.  I need to sit down and work on my list, then total my items. 

As far as the clothing challenge, I'd have no problem with that one.  I find myself wearing the same few things over and over.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:38:36 PM »
This is an interesting challenge. The one thing I noticed was that the fewer ingredients you buy, the more time you need as this simplified plan would require a lot of cooking from scratch. At this point in my life, I don't think I have the time to join in, but I find the plan very intriguing and something to think about.

Catherine, your list is very good. I would definitely need to have rice on my list for stir fry, chicken & rice, to add to soups, etc. I would also add peanut butter as we use it in many different ways--stirred into oatmeal, in granola bar recipes, sandwiches, etc.

Thanks for this interesting thread! It's given me some goals to work toward simplifying our food items.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:46 AM »
That is neat.  It does seem like I always buy the same items at SAMs club but it seems like I buy a lot more than 33 plus I mainly use what I have one hand for meats kinda.  My list would be like 66 items. Ha no if I get time I will think of a list. 

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:24:45 AM »
This is an interesting challenge. The one thing I noticed was that the fewer ingredients you buy, the more time you need as this simplified plan would require a lot of cooking from scratch. At this point in my life, I don't think I have the time to join in, but I find the plan very intriguing and something to think about.

Catherine, your list is very good. I would definitely need to have rice on my list for stir fry, chicken & rice, to add to soups, etc. I would also add peanut butter as we use it in many different ways--stirred into oatmeal, in granola bar recipes, sandwiches, etc.

Thanks for this interesting thread! It's given me some goals to work toward simplifying our food items.

Jennie

Good points, Jennie!  We rarely eat rice so I didn't include that on my list, but I know some people eat more rice and less potatoes than we do.  And peanut butter was on my mental list, just forgot to write it down.  So there goes one of those three remaining slots.

It would definitely take some scratch cooking, but not much, if any, more than now, at least for the way our family eats.  It would eliminate the option of storebought bread, but I've already been putting the ingredients in the breadmaker at night and setting it up to be done at 6 AM so it has time to cool for sandwiches.  Easy peasy.  I had thought of eliminating flours and baking supplies altogether for a month, but decided that would take out too many options:  muffins, corn bread, waffles, pancakes, bread itself, pizza dough, etc... .

And really, when I started writing things down, the the biggest obstacle I had perceived, packed lunches, just disappeared.  The only thing eliminated from our usual packed lunch rotation is lunch meat sandwiches.  We could still do PB&J except for Mondays (Mallory goes to a nut-free school for gifted and talented on Mondays), and the usual homemade soups, pasta with sauce, and mac and cheese that I already make for lunches.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 07:27:44 AM »
I've been thinking of meals I could make from this list.  Will start writing those down and report back later.  It helps that I've been reading a book recently about a pioneer family.  ;)

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »
Catherine,

What book? One of my New Year's goals is to get back to reading real books.

I've been thinking about my 33 items. I am a from scratch only kind of cook so having a lot of processed foods to count isn't my problem. It's the being specific that's getting me into trouble. I can rattle off about 6 kinds of specific cheeses we enjoy so narrowing that down to just one or two would be very hard. While I don't buy 6 kids of cheeses weekly, over the course of a month I do buy quite a few. Hmmmm...this is hard!

Beth
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:13:52 AM by mooremama »
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Ooh Beth, cheese! ;D. Muenster, mozzarella, sharp cheddar, Colby Jack, etc.  We love them all!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:34:30 AM »
Catherine- what about food we already have on hand?  I have a lot of home canned vegetables such as tomatoes, green beans, pintos.  Since I wouldn't be buying those would they count in the total?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
Catherine- what about food we already have on hand?  I have a lot of home canned vegetables such as tomatoes, green beans, pintos.  Since I wouldn't be buying those would they count in the total?

I think it would be however you wanted to do it.  You could use them as part of your 33, or not.  I think it's a what you use thing more than a what you buy thing but that's just my own interpretation.  Same with clothes.  When I did the clothes challenge, I decluttered all but 33 items.  I didn't get rid of all it, just packed what I wouldn't be using but wanted to keep and put it out in the garage for that 3 months.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Catherine,

What book? One of my New Year's goals is to get back to reading real books.

I've been thinking about my 33 items. I am a from scratch only kind of cook so having a lot of processed foods to count isn't my problem. It's the being specific that's getting me into trouble. I can rattle off about 6 kinds of specific cheeses we enjoy so narrowing that down to just one or two would be very hard. While I don't buy 6 kids of cheeses weekly, over the course of a month I do buy quite a few. Hmmmm...this is hard!

Beth

Emma of Aurora by Jane Kirkpatrick.  This is actually a trilogy combined into one book, though they are available separately.  I am also excited to read this gal's true story called Homestead.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=emma+of+aurora&sprefix=emma+of+aur%2Caps%2C136

Offline Rooney

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 07:49:10 PM »
Catherine, don't forget yogurt on your list for all those yummy smoothies you make! ;) :)