Author Topic: Thursday, September 11, 2014  (Read 984 times)

Offline wrancher

Thursday, September 11, 2014
« on: September 11, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »
Prayers for all those affected by 9/11

Offline 4kidsmom

Re: Thursday, September 11, 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:18:20 AM »
Good morning!

Another 9/11 is here.  Every year I remember what I was doing.  Jordan was 5 months old and Christie was 2 and a half.  It started out like any other day.  I got Jordan to nurse him and turned on the TV as I always did.  I thought I was watching a movie or something.  It took a few minutes to realize I was watching a news report.  I was watching when the second plane hit and when the towers collapsed.  I couldn't do anything else that day beyond the basics--I was trying to comprehend that someone, somewhere, had actually conceived the idea of flying a plane full of human beings into a building full of other human beings.  And that our country would never be the same.  I remember the early reports said that as many as 50,000 people could be in the towers at any one time and I was trying to understand that that many people could be gone.  It was a relief in following weeks to hear how many people escaped and that "only" 3,000 or so died.  Still doesn't minimize the horror or pain or devastation but I was happy for those who had escaped.

My doctor's appointment yesterday went well.  I have my first mammogram scheduled for Oct. 2.  My doctor did not see anything unusual in her exam so I'm not worried about it.  I also need to go to the lab tomorrow for tests for my thyroid, as well as for cholesterol, diabetes, etc.  The joys of entering middle age.   ::)

Today will be mostly a catch up day.  Laundry, ironing, paying bills, picking up the house, etc.  I have the usual school runs.  Tonight the men's church group my husband is part of is having a BBQ so we'll go to that for dinner.

Hope you all have a great day and my thoughts and prayers are with those who were affected by 9/11 (which is all of us, really.)

Merilee

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
It is snowing towards the black hills but just rain here and cold. Some places have 5-7 in of snow. Way to early.  I picked most of the garden except I have some up close to the house to pick. Ashley got her 1st eggs yesterday. All 7 of them. She was pretty excited.  Today I have crop insurance at 1 so restraighten this house And clean garage.  Kids had to take suburban to school as car is having some issues. Ross will look at that today. I will be taking care of tomatoes and green beans after I get house done.  Hard to make a mess until I get one cleaned up. Ha so catching up around here. Will do some more bookwork to get desk cleaned off.

Coffee time...
Janice

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Merilee I agree all of us were affected by 9/11. I just couldn't think of anything appropriate to say.  It just gives you a lump in your throat. 

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
Good morning ladies!

I was at the tender age of 23 in 2011, living in my very first apartment on my own, watching the horror unfold on TV before I had to go to work at a restaurant from 11-9.  That whole day at work we were incredibly slow, and all of the employees just watched the news all day on the tiny 13" TV we had in the kitchen.  I gathered volunteers all day to caravan together to the local blood donation center that night, but by the time we arrived, they were overflowing with donors and turned us away.  That night was the first time I felt genuinely afraid of being alone and truly unsafe.

Today is much different than that day 13 years ago.  It's a 'normal' day around here - work, basic home maintenance, and so on.  Jean has PT for his shoulder tonight, so he should be home at a decent time.  I should get on the treadmill at some point.  It's supposed to be a bit hotter today with thunderstorms this afternoon.  Dinner tonight is chicken curry over rice.

Love to all!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:53:16 AM »
   I thought about what day is was as soon as I woke up. Still a few tears when I think of that awful day.  :'( I was working at the table with the kids (Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon) on their homeschooling and also hemming Cathryn's wedding gown. We were watching the news when the second plane hit the towers. We put up the books and sat and watched the tv news the rest of the day. Hazel was 14. I remember she and I sitting, holding each other, and crying. Our boys couldn't take it, so they spent most of their day in their room, very quiet, which was unusual for them. It was such a sad day. I pray nothing like this ever happens again!

I am off tomorrow. Looking forward to it. I plan to pull the pepper plants and get them worked up. Not much else left in the garden. I have gone 3 days now, gluten free and pop free. I worked an 8 hours shift yesterday and my leg did not hurt near as bad as it usually does in 5 hours. So either the gluten or the pop was giving me the nerve pain, I think. Of course, it might have been the combo. I just hope I continue to feel better. Kind of a bummer when I find a job I like and make friends, then have my leg hurting so bad. I figure maybe it was too much sugar in the pop. I gave it up for 6 months at the first of the year. Like an idiot, I started drinking it again.  >:(
   I hope you all have a wonderful day. I am off to do a bit of shopping, so I don't have to spend my day off in town.
Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
I also remember 9-11-2001. My youngest was 5 years old and the older two were 7 and 8. My mom had all of her sisters visiting her from the Netherlands as well as a niece. We were heading out on a day trip out of state and my husband called to tell me something bad had happened. We were afraid to go out of state not certain if we could get back into our state. We continued but the gas stations immediately raised the prices and people were in long lines filling up canisters in case that would be their only source of fuel.

We didn't stay on our day trip very long before heading home, afraid. My mom's sisters and niece were only planning to be here a couple of weeks but I believe they needed to stay a bit longer with the "no fly" rules. I remember beginning to write a diary stating all my fears and adding to it each day. That diary has faded but our lives and the fear we have still lives on.

My kids don't really remember a lot of what happened, being so young, but they really had to grow up these last 13 years aware that are world is so full of violence. Really sad.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Earl had flown out the day before to spend a month at the National Training Center in Southern California.  I was running a little late to work but walked in shortly after 9 AM after dropping Maddy off with her sitter.  Maddy was turning one just 3 days later.  Anyway, the TV was on at work which usually only happened when we had bad storms rolling in....the first tower had been hit at that point.  We ended up leaving it on all day and I remember having it on most of the following days and in the evenings at home.  Earl had not been able to call prior but called sometime that day to let me know they HAD arrived.  It was a long month with him gone and Maddy so small.  Maddy and I had tickets to fly to Florida to visit my parents about two weeks after this and I was scared to fly for awhile but ended up going.  It sure changed our lives as a military family for the next several years (with the increased deployments and less time home between). 

As for today, Max and I dropped off the other kids at school, then went out to the Refuge to hike.  After that, an intern out there asked if we would come back to the visitor's center so Max could test out a scavenger hunt she has made for kids to do there.  He enjoyed doing that.  We picked up a meal from Panda Express on our way home to share for lunch.  Max is now taking a bath (he just wanted to) and I'm getting ready to do a little straightening in the kitchen and to start a batch of chili for dinner.  I head back to the chiro at 2:15.  Maddy has her riding lesson tonight at 5:30 and it's about 45 minutes from here so we need to eat early.  Kids are off school tomorrow for a teacher "professional development day". 

We got a welcome "cold" front last night and are supposed to be around 70 for the high today, then in the low 60's tomorrow.  So very thankful...it is actually pleasant outside for a change!  Hoping we get the possible rain with this as well.

Have a peaceful afternoon,
Catherine