Author Topic: Need Healthy Casserole Ideas  (Read 1955 times)

Offline gaggleofseven

Need Healthy Casserole Ideas
« on: October 04, 2014, 08:48:48 PM »
I'm looking for some "comfort food" type casserole recipes, but would like them to be healthy--low fat, low sodium, etc. I like casserole dishes as the weather turns cooler; they seem so homey and it's nice to bake something to warm up the house a bit. We are wanting to watch what we're eating more closely, while also staying on a tight grocery budget. Thanks for sharing any recipes you have!

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Cheryl

Re: Need Healthy Casserole Ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:59:33 AM »
Jennie, my husband has high blood pressure so I don't use the commercially canned soups so many casserole recipes call for.  I make my own 'cream of' soups using a recipe I found by searching for homemade versions of those soups.  I can add chicken base to make cream of chicken, or saute some mushrooms to add to make cream of mushroom, etc.  If you're interested in this, I will look up my recipe.

Here is a casserole we like in which I use my homemade version of soup.

Company Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 small carton of sour cream. (I use Daisy Light)

Place chicken breasts in baking dish.  Top with soup and sour cream.  Cover dish with foil and bake 350 ° for 1 hour.  Check chicken to be sure it's cooked thoroughly.  Serve over rice or noodles if desired.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:01:13 AM »
Jennie:
Are you on Pinterest?  If you are, you can put "skinny casseroles", or "diabetic casseroles" in the search bar to come up with tons of inspiration.

If you are not, some of the website/blogs that I look to (for weight watcher friendly ideas) are:
www.skinnytaste.com
www.skinnymom.com
www.laaloosh.com

I have had good luck finding tasty options on all of these sites!

Most of your favorite casseroles can be adjusted by using all low sodium products, whole wheat pastas, leaner meats, etc.
Sometimes tough on a budget, but watching for sales/discounts/coupons can help.
Good luck,
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »
Just wanted to second that www.skinnytaste.com has some really good recipes.  Thanks, Pam, for the reminder!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »
Jennie, my husband has high blood pressure so I don't use the commercially canned soups so many casserole recipes call for.  I make my own 'cream of' soups using a recipe I found by searching for homemade versions of those soups.  I can add chicken base to make cream of chicken, or saute some mushrooms to add to make cream of mushroom, etc.  If you're interested in this, I will look up my recipe.

Here is a casserole we like in which I use my homemade version of soup.

Company Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 small carton of sour cream. (I use Daisy Light)

Place chicken breasts in baking dish.  Top with soup and sour cream.  Cover dish with foil and bake 350 ° for 1 hour.  Check chicken to be sure it's cooked thoroughly.  Serve over rice or noodles if desired.

Cheryl, this looks really good. Is there a way to make the white sauce ahead of time and save time on busy evenings? It is possible to can or freeze homemade white sauce or "cream of" type soup bases?

Tonight I made baked macaroni & cheese and used whole wheat pasta, skim milk, and reduced fat shredded cheese. It turned out really well and made a nice no-meat casserole.

I appreciate all suggestions!
Jennie

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:06:58 PM »
Jennie:
Are you on Pinterest?  If you are, you can put "skinny casseroles", or "diabetic casseroles" in the search bar to come up with tons of inspiration.

If you are not, some of the website/blogs that I look to (for weight watcher friendly ideas) are:
www.skinnytaste.com
www.skinnymom.com
www.laaloosh.com

I have had good luck finding tasty options on all of these sites!

Most of your favorite casseroles can be adjusted by using all low sodium products, whole wheat pastas, leaner meats, etc.
Sometimes tough on a budget, but watching for sales/discounts/coupons can help.
Good luck,
Pam

Pam, do you have some favorites that you've tried? Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at skinnytaste tonight.

Thanks!!
Jennie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
Jennie, I'm just not sure about freezing the white sauce or "cream of" soup mixtures.  I've only made it the day I'm using it and refrigerated until time to bake, but I'd try it and see.  Mixtures may separate some with thawing.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:40 AM »
I have not personally tried this yet, but this is a mix you can keep in the pantry:

http://www.theessentialhomemaker.com/diy-food-cream-of-anything-soup-mix

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 06:48:50 AM »
That recipe for the "cream of" soup mixture is almost exactly like the one I use.  It's so good!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
I am on board with this healthy casserole thread. I'm not on FB or pinerest or anything so recipes themselves would be good.

I also need help with what to do with a bunch of chicken breast on the bone that I bought a few weeks ago and froze. I bought a whole bunch of them because the prices were so, so good. I don't love breast meat so some recipes including casseroles would be great as I try to make something out of these.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
Everything I have tried on skinnytaste has been amazing!

As far as the casserole list, we have done:
Baked Ziti with Spinach
Baked Broccoli Macaroni & Cheese
Cheeseburger Casserole
Chicken & Broccoli Noodle Casserole
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Kalyn's Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
Skinny Tuna Casserole

All were yummy!  Just look for something that would appeal to your family's tastes, or to use up items you have on hand.  You can't go wrong with her recipes!
Enjoy!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25