The Barn and Fields > Animals and Homesteading

Pets

<< < (2/8) > >>

hen41500:
I had to google the Irish Wolfhound...absolutely beautiful dogs!     WE have 2 misses in the house. The elder is an 8 yr old DAsh-Tzu, which is a dach shund/shi Tzu mix and the trouble maker is a 3 yr old miniature dalmation  dach shund.  They are on our thankful list everyday because of the entertainment they provide!

~Heather~

greyhoundgirl:
Fun thread!

Mandy, I have wanted an Irish Wolfhound for probably 12-15 years now.  They are truly "gentle giants".  One day.  Right now we are trying not to add anything else to our family to feed.  :P

We have Buck, a tricolor smooth coat Border Collie, about 3.5-4 years old (we celebrate his b-day with Max's).  And we also have an Ellie Mae, our 11 YO "mutt" though we know her mixed parentage.  Mom was a beagle/tree walker mix and dad was a lab. 

As for cats, we are "down" to five.  Simba is our 15 YO stub-tailed girl.  Our vet gave her to us as a tiny kitten as she wanted her to go to a home who would care for her tail injury.  It was broken off during her birth and she needed to be on meds for several weeks as it healed.  Simba has beautiful brown "Bengal" type markings though I don't think she is that breed.

Tabitha is a grey tabby, 14 years old.  I got her from an ad in the paper as a tiny kitten.  She's kind of grouchy and was diagnosed with kidney failure about 3 years ago.  We switched her to a corn/soy/wheat-free food and she has done surprisingly well.

Sassy is 10 years old.  Our vet calls her a "squirrel tabby".  She has the browns and a bit of orange all mottled together (but not a tortie) and is extremely soft.  We call her the $1000 cat due to the CAT scan (haha) she had to have several years back due to a massive sinus infection that they suspected was tumor.  She was given strong antibiotics for that for several weeks and, we believe (the vet too), suffered a stroke, possibly due to the meds.  So, she walks with her head cocked a bit sideways.  She gets extremely cuddly after ingesting catnip.

Pumpkin and Nutmeg are biological sisters, now 8 years old.  If you were on the boards long ago you may remember that we had put in an offer on a rural home on 3 acres about 30 miles from here near the town where we used to live.  It came with 2 llamas, a goat, and a sheep, lol.  The people had moved out and these stray cats were living there.  We took the kittens home (there was a third sister dead in the road).  The man's wife passed away and he asked us to let him out of the agreement, so we didn't get the house but ended up with two cats.  Pumpkin is a beautiful female orange tabby (those are quite rare) with a medium coat but fluffy long-haired tail.  She is average weight and very active (I've seen her run across the neighbor's roof, lol).  Nutmeg is a "torbie", tortie tabby, very large but also very fluffy.  She absolutely never goes out (has tiptoed out the back door but runs back in ) and is my special buddy.  She sleeps next to my shoulders at night.  She is addicted to hunting slippers and likes to pile them up around the house.  She does this funny chirping sound as she carries them around.  If you are familiar with Maine Coon cats, she looks like one and must have some in her ancestry.

Next up is Zoe, the English Spot rabbit.  She is black and white, mostly white body with black spots, black ears, and a Hitleresque moustache. 

Bear is our Djungarian hamster.  Sweetest little guy you ever met.  Might weigh two ounces this time of year as he plumps up.

And then there are the chickens.  They all have names but I won't list them all.

Cheryl:
Fun thread!! :D

I am 'owned' by my very favorite cat in the world, Tiki.  She's 10 years old and is a cantankerous tortie.  She's my baby.

We also have Lily & Tabby (we bottle fed these 2 starting when they were orphaned at 9 days old), CallieCocoaPuffs, Danny, & Twizzler.  Danny & Twizzler are barn cats, the others are 'house' kitties.

Emily has 2 dogs - Buddy and Blackie.

The chickens are all named.  The roosters are Randy & Corolla.  The hens are Charlotte, Dottie, Domino, Lexie, Lexus, Goldie, Roseanne, Buffy, High Top, Little Tip, Fuzzy, Sassy, and Lollipop.

Love reading about everyone's pets! :)

MoWin:
This is a fun thread.   ;D We have 2 cats, both were dumped on us.Callie is an 8 year old long haired calico. She is my baby! She is wherever I am. Aeris is a short haired calico. She is not as loveable as Callie. Also, Aeris is 7 years old. Jon gave her the name, Aeris. It was the character on some game he was playing at the time. LOL

We have a little pom named Buddy. He is so attached to Kevin that he shakes when Kevin leaves. We have taught him to catch a ball and also chase one and bring it back to us. He is just a sweetheart. We also have an old beagle named Thunder. She is 17 years old, but still gets around pretty good.

We have 3 barred rock hens, 7 buff orpington/barred rock cross pullets and 3 young roos. My pullets are just starting to lay!

If all goes well, we will soon be getting a 7 month old pom named Angel. :-)

Blessings,
Winona

Beth, first time I have ever heard of Turkey named Winona. LOL I wonder if she likes quits?

Proudmama:
Wow!  Some of you have and have had a lot of pets.  We only have Mindy, a three year old Shih Tzu (her birthday was this past Sunday which is also Zachary's birthday). 

Molly has wanted a dog since she could say the word dog and Doug finally told her she could get one if she could save up the money for the adoption fee.  In one year, she had saved $600!!!!!!!  We looked around for about 6 months and one day Doug's aunt asked if we wanted the dog they had just adopted.  Her and her husband decided that they were not home enough and it wouldn't be fair for them to keep her.  They just asked that we pay them the money they had paid for her adoption which was $400.  They also gave us her crate and everything they had for her.

Mindy is the PERFECT dog for us.  She was only one when we got her and we were the fourth home she had had if you count her foster home plus she was in a shelter for a bit.  She was nervous and shy at first and it took her over a year to consistently come to us when she needed to go out but I knew her behavior was all because she had been moved around so often.  While she still has the occasional accident, she almost always makes it outside before she goes.

Mindy likes to be carried around like a baby, sleeps in bed with Molly and pretty much sleeps for as long as Molly does and loves every single person she meets.  She likes nothing better than to just sit on the couch snuggled up beside you.  While Molly is her owner, I am her mommy.  Mindy considers everyone else her brothers and sisters - including Doug!  She listens to everyone but sometimes, she looks at me when they tell her to do something as if she is asking me if she really has to do it!

Molly would love another dog but one is enough for us for right now.  Plus while Mindy doesn't seem to mind other dogs, I think she might be jealous if we got another dog.

Denise

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version