Author Topic: Ingredient of the day? (broccoli)  (Read 4804 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Ingredient of the day?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 11:46:57 AM »
I must have missed that "ingredient of the day" thingie (start, explanations). Where can I read up on that? :)

There's a post probably a couple of weeks ago.  Basically, we're just picking a food ingredient each day and posting it, then everyone who wishes to participate chimes in with how they use it.  Hoping to learn some new ways to make things.  I kinda started it, but whomever is on in the morning is welcome to post if they have an ingredient in mind.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
again - I am the only one who likes broccoli

see a running theme in my world  :P ::)

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Cathie - I say you cook what you like and the rest of them can fend for themselves!

Denise

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
I like it in broccoli salad, too, as Susan mentioned. I make mine with the broccoli of course, onion, cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, mayo, sugar and vinegar. It is pretty awesome!

Yes, it is!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:41 PM »
Cathie - I say you cook what you like and the rest of them can fend for themselves!

Denise

😂😂😂😂

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Ingredient of the day? (broccoli)
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »
Tried a new broccoli casserole recipe tonight and it was a huge hit so I thought I'd post the link if anyone else is interested.  The Ritz crackers make it not quite so economical, but you could probably sub generic ones.  http://www.justgetoffyourbuttandbake.com/2010/03/08/chicken-broccoli-supreme/

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
We eat it often as a vegetable, steamed.  Probably more often than any other veggie, as my kids love it.  I also like to make broccoli cheese soup, especially this time of year.

Jennie, we like this casserole that my mom always made.  I am guesstimating a bit on amounts as I don't have it written down anywhere, but always tastes good regardless.  :)

1 large or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (or equivalent fresh), lightly steamed
about 4 cups diced cooked chicken (you can do less, though, if needed)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I sub my own homemade version these days)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
approximately 1/3 cup milk
Editing to add a small splash of lemon juice which goes in with the sauce.
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (or more) shredded Cheddar

Layer the lightly steamed broccoli and the chicken in a 9 x 13" pan.  Mix the cream of chicken, mayo, and milk together along with salt and pepper and pour over.  Sprinkle on cheese and bake for about 30-35 minutes at 350 or until hot and bubbly.  We serve this with cooked rice.

That sounds yummy.
Maleesa