Author Topic: Saturday, December 26th, 2015  (Read 1002 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Saturday, December 26th, 2015
« on: December 26, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »
Good morning!

Up and have my sheets in the washer; may put on the flannels finally today with Goliath rolling in.  Today we have a risk of severe storms with tornadoes possible, ice tomorrow with winds and enough accumulation to possibly lose power, and then Sunday night the snow starts.  As they say here in Oklahoma, if you don't like the weather, wait 45 minutes.  :D  I'm excited about the snow but could skip the rest.  We do have the generator which we've found runs our heat and a freezer quite nicely, just in case.

I'm heading out in a bit to Aldi to pick up another gallon of milk, some of their sale produce, probably another loaf or two of bread, and eggs.  Just in case.  :D  We're well stocked on pet food but I think Earl may hit W-mart for pull-ups and kitty litter.  Or at least I'm trying to bargain with him to do that as I hate going there. 

Speaking of kitties, for those not on fb, Wednesday afternoon, the Humane Society that we foster for put out an emergency call for fosters.  Last month, we had a great month here getting dogs and cats fostered and adopted which allowed the city shelter to have a no-kill month.  People must have seen that and assumed that makes the shelter no-kill (which it isn't) and started dumping animals.  They have had crazy amounts turned in and picked up, were full, and going to have to start euthanizing if the foster groups couldn't help out.  So we went down for ONE, and came home with TWO, a dog and a cat.  Both supposed to be about a year old, though we suspect that cat is more like 6 months.  She's a precious little tigery-striped dark calico we're calling Lizzie, and dog we believe to be a Boston Terrier/Beagle mix we're calling Pippin.  He is the perfect dog:  housebroken, good with kids, cats, and our dog, loves to snuggle, and so on.  I can't imagine why someone would dump him or not look for him if he got lost.  He had been at the shelter for awhile so they certainly had time.  He was neutered the day before we took him home, and the cat spayed.  Lizzie came to us sneezing and with gunky eyes, but our Humane Society contact dropped off Clavamox and eye ointment and she's about back to normal already.  WE've been quarantining her in Morgan's room for a few days, just in case, and to give her time to adjust as she's nervous about the dogs.  She's so sweet and cuddly with people, though.

Still trying to figure out meals for the next few days with everyone home.  We even did some laundry on Christmas (again, just in case) with the memory of that 5-day power outage a few years' back in mind, trying to stay ahead of things.  I think we have a load of whites to do after our sheets, and maybe will wash the towels to play it safe.

Hope you all have a great day!
Catherine

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Saturday, December 26th, 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:28:26 AM »
Good Morning Catherine and any who follow!

We say the same thing about the weather in Michigan and it changing so quickly.  I wonder if everyone says that no matter where you are!?
Sounds like you are going to be plenty prepared for any storms that might blow in.  Good luck with that!

We had a nice Christmas.  Today we are headed north to my parents to celebrate with them.  It should be a nice day.  We need to leave around 11, so I really should get myself together and ready to go.  Gifts are ready, and so are the treats and goodies I am bringing along.
The boys are at the gym, so they are going to be back soon and wanting the bathroom.  I guess I had better get my chance while I have it!

Not much else happening here.  Tomorrow should be a little less busy, but we shall see! 
Monday we take eldest back to the airport to send him back south.  He should be happy about that, because starting Monday we are in for 4 or 5 days of actual winter weather with snow and possible ice!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday, and another one today!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
Oh,Pam, I'm not looking forward to winter with snow and ice. We got our power back on about 8 am Christmas morning after being out for out for about 37 hours. Not fun and I really don't want a repeat of that any time soon. I had not yet heard our weather forecast so I'm glad you posted that. I have my laundry done and dirty dishes caught up but need to vacuum yet. I got my very few groceries I needed and we're not doing a lot of foodie things for New Years eve so we're good to go. Our entire Christmas dinner which I did get to cook since the power came on just in time came from freezer diving. It was simpler than normal but no stress at all. We played a Dutch tabletop shuffleboard and my mom was really competitive. She has been dealing with this trigeminal nerve facial pain for the past several years and she is on some medicine that seems to help dull the pain though it never goes away. She isn't so loopy and tired as much and now can even participate in some fun games. She joins conversation more now and I'm glad to see my mom feeling a bit better though not totally. Dad wanted to go home and she surely showed him that she was in charge by telling him "no, we're playing the game first!" That was quite fun to see her put dad in his place!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
Good morning

We are also in the winter storm path. Probably have at least 5 in.  Hoping it passes through fast but doesn't look like it. I was looking at forecast and it looks like this should be our last storm at least while we are gone to Cancun.  I still can't believe we are leaving for a week.  So glad my folks are staying here with the kids.  I am doing a through cleaning of my bedroom and bathroom. Thank heavens I have been kinda staying up on it.  Today is Megan's 21st birthday! Unbelievable!   She wants strawberry pretzel salad for her cake and I stink at making it of course.  Grilling steaks for supper.  I think why I am hating packing is because I waited till last minute to get clothes and don't really have what I want.  Hopefully you can buy clothes there.  Well better get going

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Good morning (there are 10 minutes left of it as I type, lol)

We had a nice and quiet Christmas.  It was just us and while it was a bit quieter than we are used to, it was perfect!

Today, we are going to run a couple errands and then the boys are going to do some yard work and I will start packing some boxes for the move.  The new house is only about 3-4 miles from us so once we close escrow and get the keys, my oldest and I can start taking loads over... another benefit of having a 16 year old son that drives  ;D

My surgery is on Monday.  I am only a smidge nervous but when Monday morning come that smidge may increase.  ;)

Dinner tonight is probably chicken curry (hubs request).

Happy Saturday, everyone!