Author Topic: Thursday, June 16, 2016  (Read 912 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Thursday, June 16, 2016
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:23:46 AM »
We had some thunderstorms overnight but I only briefly heard them and fell back to sleep. That's a good sign that I didn't get up and worry all night long!

It was so hot and humid last night that I just couldn't get motivated to make dinner. Since we eat from the pantry and freezer there aren't any easy foods in the fridge either. My son and I were looking for a foot locker or storage trunk for school next year and decided we would get a couple of frozen pizza WHICH I NEVER DO. I haven't bought a frozen pizza in many, many years. There were so many in the freezer section I had no idea where to begin choosing one. I don't even walk down the frozen food aisle at any grocery store so I was totally frustrated. Apparently, my son doesn't either since he was just as baffled as I was! We got three pizza's as I didn't even know how many people that would feed not knowing how full or not they would be.

Tonight we're cooking again. Does anyone have good recipe for a Cheeseburger pasta casserole? I thought I had a recipe but I can't find it. We don't want to do the quickie foods again in the near future. It was too expensive.

Laundry--that's a daily think with six adults. But at least they're a clean bunch!

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline 4kidsmom

Re: Thursday, June 16, 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:16 AM »
Good morning!

Tuesday night Jordan and I went to a soccer game for our local professional team.  The Open Cup is going on and we were playing our game.  Since it's a tournament, there *has* to be a winner.  We were down 0-2, then two of our star players were subbed in and we got two goals of our own.  The game ended at 2-2, we played the extra time, ended that at 2-2, so we went to penalty kicks.  We won 3-1 on penalties.  It was quite an exciting game, and made for a really late night.  I think the game finally ended at around 11.  By the time we got home, it was about 11:30.  Then I needed to chill for awhile before going to bed--the adrenaline high was really high!

So as a result of that late night, I was in a total funk yesterday.  About the only thing I got accomplished was to do grocery shopping and make dinner. 

I've got a very long list of things to do today.  I need to pick up each room in the house, put away some laundry, dust, vacuum and mop, check over my menu and shop in the big freezer, straighten and restock my pantries, balance my checkbook, pay bills, and a whole bunch of other little things.  I did get my garage cleaned up and somewhat organized.  Mostly that was getting stuff put away and sweeping the floor.  It looks so much better now.   And it was quite pleasant to work outside--it's nice and cool in the mornings right now.  It's hot in the afternoon, and warm in the evenings, but we're not in a heat wave right now so the mornings are delightfully cool.

Dinner tonight is grilled pork chops, some kind of potato dish, fruit and salad.

Have a great day!

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 10:37:49 AM »
Good Afternoon Ladies!

Those thunderstorms were pretty strong last night!  We were on our way home from a Broadway show and got caught in the middle of it.  The wind was crazy!  But we made it home safe and sound, so all good.

This morning I went and picked strawberries.  The plants were loaded with beautiful berries!  I picked 14 1/2 pounds in about 45 minutes.  Sure reminds me of how old I am getting!  My back is sore!  It would have been easier if you could kneel to pick, but it was pretty muddy from the storms, so none of that!  But, now I have lots and lots of berries to decide what to do with!

College son and his girlfriend are coming for dinner, and possibly middle son as well.  I made a pineapple angel food cake for the berries for dessert. 
*(angel food cake mix/can of crushed pineapple, and bake as directions say).  One of my faves!!!

I have some picking up to do, and a couple of bills to get paid, so I need to get busy. 
Hoping to get a walk in at some point in the day/evening. 

Have a great day and evening ladies!  You are all in my prayers daily!
Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »
We had some thunderstorms overnight but I only briefly heard them and fell back to sleep. That's a good sign that I didn't get up and worry all night long!

It was so hot and humid last night that I just couldn't get motivated to make dinner. Since we eat from the pantry and freezer there aren't any easy foods in the fridge either. My son and I were looking for a foot locker or storage trunk for school next year and decided we would get a couple of frozen pizza WHICH I NEVER DO. I haven't bought a frozen pizza in many, many years. There were so many in the freezer section I had no idea where to begin choosing one. I don't even walk down the frozen food aisle at any grocery store so I was totally frustrated. Apparently, my son doesn't either since he was just as baffled as I was! We got three pizza's as I didn't even know how many people that would feed not knowing how full or not they would be.

Tonight we're cooking again. Does anyone have good recipe for a Cheeseburger pasta casserole? I thought I had a recipe but I can't find it. We don't want to do the quickie foods again in the near future. It was too expensive.

Laundry--that's a daily think with six adults. But at least they're a clean bunch!

Alice

Alice, pasta casseroles are my quick, easy go to meal as a rule. I have so many different variations of them that when I say that we are having a pasta casserole, the kids ask, which one? lol

I use a 9x13 glass baking pan to cook them in. 
For the cheeseburger one:
I take 2   16 ounce bags of pasta (I use penne,fusilli, or it can even be regular elbow macaroni, doesn't matter, whatever I have) and pour them into the pan.  Then add a jar of pasta sauce (you can add more to make it more tomato-y)  Then I add in hamburger meat that I have cooked in a skillet until it is all of the way done. (You can even make this part easier, by cooking up a bunch of meat at once and portioning it into small ziplocs and freezing them.)  Then you just add water about to where it covers the ingredients and cover with aluminum foil(the foil is important or pasta will dry out otherwise.)  Cook for an hour on 375-400.   If you check it and it still has water in it, a little longer.  Now just stir the ingredients to make sure all pasta is cooked add your favorite cheese!  We use cheddar, or mozzarella or sometimes even parmesan.  Then put it bake in for about 10-15 minutes.

If you have the meat precooked and in the freezer bags, it takes prep time down to less than 5 MINUTES! Seriously!

I do one with chicken too that they really like that adds in vegetables.
Chicken variation:
2 bags pasta noodles of your choice
1 bag of frozen broccoli
Optional diced sweet peppers
2 cans of canned chicken breast
a carton(?) of red roasted pepper and tomato soup  (you can use your favorite pasta sauce here, I just use this because it creates a totally different flavor.)
Mix all of that in your baking pan and fill with water until ingredients are covered and cover with foil.
An hour on 375-400 or until water is about gone. stir and  top with cheddar cheese, cook until cheese is melted and serve.
Again, prep time is 5 MINUTES and they have a healthy, yummy meal that fills them up.

If you need some ideas for some super simple crock pot meals, The Encouraging Homeschool Mom has some on her youtube channel that are as simple as just minutes in prep time. I love this channel!

I have more quick healthy stuff I fix if you need it and would be more than willing to share, because I cook for so many, so many times a day.  Hope that you find this to be somewhat helpful to you! :)

Lindsay

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »
Lindsay - those recipes sound good! 

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »
I just checked out her youtube and I really really like her stuff! Finding recipes is kind of difficult but I'll work through it and pull a few that I like. I'm past all the little kid thing but I do like watching her parent while doing the videos.
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 12:19:36 PM »
I just checked out her youtube and I really really like her stuff! Finding recipes is kind of difficult but I'll work through it and pull a few that I like. I'm past all the little kid thing but I do like watching her parent while doing the videos.

If you just click on the PLAYLISTS category on the top of the channel site, it will gives the recipes in one place (I believe there is one just labeled slow cooker meals too), so you won't have to "wade" through all the school and home videos. :)