Author Topic: Healthy Bulk snacks  (Read 2250 times)

Offline Rooney

Healthy Bulk snacks
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:44:39 PM »
I need some ideas for healthy snacks, that are fairly easy to make and can be made in bulk.  Anything that does not include nuts. TIA

shedrinkzcoffee

Re: Healthy Bulk snacks
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »
hmmm, let me think.

Do you like dried fruits?  I put together mixes with dried fruits, mini chocolate chips and sunflower seeds that we all like. 

How about homemade beef jerky?  Not really super frugal but delicious and if you can get some meat on sale it could be frugal. 

Or maybe homemade fruit leather

Let me think some more on it and see what pops in to my head.   ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
Popcorn, flavored or not.

Homemade granola bars.  I get the bulk crispy rice cereal to use in them from Azure.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:56:14 PM »
Popcorn, flavored or not.

Homemade granola bars.  I get the bulk crispy rice cereal to use in them from Azure.

Which bulk rice cereal?  The biggest amount I saw were the 6 box cases.  I bought a case last month, but they are kinda high priced for as far as they will go.  Do they have it in bigger bulk?  Oh and if you wouldn't mind posting the recipe that you use, I'd be grateful. ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:27:53 AM »
This is the crisped rice I use.  It's a good size bag since the stuff is so light.  https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/11820//

As for recipes, I have tried many and not found the "perfect" one yet.  They have pretty much all tasted good, but some are more crumbly than I prefer.  Some use just oats, some add the crisped rice.  I believe there is a recipe on Crystal's site.

Just adding that I had several recipes saved that I would have linked to as a starting point, but I lost all my bookmarks when my old computer died.  So I have nothing and will have to google next time I make them.  :(
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 08:52:47 AM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline wrancher

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »
1st I found this http://5dinners1hour.com/make-ahead-lunches/

But I went on pinterest and just searched healthy snacks. It made  me hungry so I went looking through fridge. I personally want to make up breakfast items to have handy for my kids in the mornings. Just time to cook and clean would be something.Ha

Good luck I am anixous to hear on this tppic also

Janice

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
This is the crisped rice I use.  It's a good size bag since the stuff is so light.  https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/11820//

Thank you!  I looked on the boxes I bought and those bags are almost three times as big.  Will go that route next month.

Or maybe homemade fruit leather

I'd like to try this.  Is it that difficult?

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
No, its pretty easy  :)

Do you have a dehydrator?  (you can use the oven too)

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
No dehydrator here. :)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
Here is a link to how to make it in the oven  :D

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_fruit_leather/

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
Found a super easy recipe for the granola bars that I would like to try tomorrow.  Does anyone know what you can sub in when a recipe calls for wheat germ or flax meal?  Only ingredient I am missing. :P  I think this would work as a bulk snack for us because I have so many 9x13 pans (they are almost all I cook in). ;)

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
I don't usually put either of those.  I just add slightly more oats or almond flour or whatever other ingredient is in the particular recipe.