Author Topic: Ingredient of the day? (broccoli)  (Read 4805 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Ingredient of the day? (broccoli)
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »
Should we keep going with that or is it just one more thing to do?  I was gone one morning and didn't put it up and no one else posted one either, so I just kinda let it go.  But we can keep going if you like...either the first person to think of it in the morning can put it up or I will try to do it most days.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 06:39:36 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline gaggleofseven

Re: Ingredient of the day?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
Catherine, I do like reading everyone's posts and getting new ideas.

Actually today I'm making sweet potato & black bean chili based on Denise's suggestions for sweet potatoes from a couple of days ago.

Could I post one today? I would like suggestions for broccoli, especially frozen broccoli due to the season.

Thanks!
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 11:14:23 AM »
Sure, go for it!  We love broccoli around here.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »
I usually just steam or microwave frozen broccoli, but I'm not very creative on other uses for it. Does anyone have a good recipe for something like a baked chicken and broccoli casserole, or broccoli & pasta?

Thanks!
Jennie
Jennie

Offline jrejhkids

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
We like broccoli as a vegetable.  My family loves to put it on baked potatoes with all the fixings.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:29 AM »
We eat it often as a vegetable, steamed.  Probably more often than any other veggie, as my kids love it.  I also like to make broccoli cheese soup, especially this time of year.

Jennie, we like this casserole that my mom always made.  I am guesstimating a bit on amounts as I don't have it written down anywhere, but always tastes good regardless.  :)

1 large or 2 small bags of frozen broccoli (or equivalent fresh), lightly steamed
about 4 cups diced cooked chicken (you can do less, though, if needed)
1 can cream of chicken soup (I sub my own homemade version these days)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
approximately 1/3 cup milk
Editing to add a small splash of lemon juice which goes in with the sauce.
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups (or more) shredded Cheddar

Layer the lightly steamed broccoli and the chicken in a 9 x 13" pan.  Mix the cream of chicken, mayo, and milk together along with salt and pepper and pour over.  Sprinkle on cheese and bake for about 30-35 minutes at 350 or until hot and bubbly.  We serve this with cooked rice.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 07:58:37 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
Catherine, that recipe sounds great.  Thanks!

We like broccoli prepared as you all have posted but another way we like it is to saute it along with peppers and onions when we make homemade fajitas.  A local Mexican restaurant serves it this way and it's delicious.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
I sometimes roast broccoli in the oven tossed with a bit of olive oil and salt.  You can add a bit of garlic powder or crushed garlic, too.  Once it comes out of the oven, sprinkle a bit of Parmesan over it.  Yum!

Denise

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »
Thank you, Catherine. This is exactly the type of recipe I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Jennie
Jennie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »
Thank you, Catherine. This is exactly the type of recipe I was looking for.

Thanks again,
Jennie

Oh good, hope you like it.  I just edited it realizing I forgot that my mom always added just a small amount of lemon juice to the sauce mix.  Maybe a teaspoon, no more.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 07:34:51 AM »
We love broccoli around here too (especially in Panda Express' Beef and Broccoli ;D!).  No seriously, we usually steam it or roast it exactly as Denise does, but occasionally I will throw chicken chunks, broccoli, and potato or pasta in a casserole, top it with cheese, and bake it.  I can't really call this a 'recipe' per se, as it's just a mix of whatever is left over, usually, but it sure is good!

Mandy :)
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 07:49:06 AM »
Came across this article this morning on 10 ways to cook broccoli if anyone is interested:  http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/10982-best-ways-to-cook-broccoli.html

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
We like it raw, steamed, roasted and boiled. I serve it in soup, as broccoli salad, in stir fries and in a casserole (topped with crushed butter crackers).

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 07:43:32 AM »
I like it in broccoli salad, too, as Susan mentioned. I make mine with the broccoli of course, onion, cheddar cheese, bacon pieces, mayo, sugar and vinegar. It is pretty awesome!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline Noora

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:26:09 AM »
I must have missed that "ingredient of the day" thingie (start, explanations). Where can I read up on that? :)