Author Topic: Wednesday, May 20, 2015  (Read 893 times)

Offline wrancher

Wednesday, May 20, 2015
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
Good Morning

Offline wrancher

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Wow morning is flying by. Lane has 8th grade graduation tonight so need to iron up clothes for everyone. I need to dye my hair. Ross is leaving for his brothers branding taking Allison and possible Ashley go over after 3rd hour so she can take test. We are down to nothing in school. Levi is on a field trip. They get out tomorrow at 12:30 I need to take cards to either mail or hand out. Need to clean my kitchen TODAY. I got 1/2 of it done yesterday, I ran out of time with everything else. After chicken chores I have to do some bookwork and make phone calls. Cant wait till it warms up to get plants out. Tired of hauling in and out. Mail day today so need to get stuff up there. We get mail 3 days a week Mon,Wed,Fri and if it is a holiday they bring it next day. If road is closed you just have to wait till it opens. I ordered a big bolt bin for our shop and it came yesterday all 27 boxes delivered to house while I was at neighbors or I would have had them move down there.  I think I will save that project for kids to help me with. I will put labels for sizes and then arrange.  Being remote you need to have lots on hand so you dont make a trip to town for every little thing. We used to have this company come to ranch they would fill bins for you but that was expensive. I talked Ross into this to save us some money. Headed down to take pictures of car and pickup I am selling on craigslist. I also want to sell jeeps and get 1 good 1.

Allison won a kindle paperwhite at the library. I ordered her a case this morning and it will be here Friday  What is my best source for free/cheap books for it? She will be a 6th grader but has a good lexile score. I want my kids to read this summer more than usual. What are some programs to reward them for reading. Pizza hut used to have book it. I Any others out there? Do you let your kids use a kindle. I prefer them to read a real book but if it helps them read more.

Coffee time...
Janice

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »
Good Morning!

Janice:  We get most of our e-books from the library consortium.  Maybe your local public library has e-books to lend as well? I also prefer to read a 'real' book as well, but mostly because I do most of my reading in the bath, and I will NOT take my iPad in the bathtub ;D!  I am also weird about owning books.  It's the one thing I put no restrictions on buying, as far as simplifying/cutting clutter.  We have a book fair about an hour away that runs for three week stretches through most of the year, and I love to just go load up on books, many of which are only $4-$5 each.

Today is a pretty normal day around here.  I woke up at 3:30 to let Grimm out and just stayed awake since the first alarm was going to go off at 4:15.  Needless to say, after Jean left (around 6:00), I went back to bed for a bit!  I'm up now and have had my breakfast and done some NSA work.  I also put in a call to our vet to figure out some allergy/rash issues Grimm is having.  Still today I'd like to:

*Water & weed the garden
*Make the bed
*Sweep/steam mop the floors
*Search Pinterest for fruit snack recipes
*Go over both bathrooms
*One load of laundry
*Work on knit baby gift (baby girl dress)

I'm still not walking much/well, so I scheduled a second spinal steroid injection for June 4th.  Yesterday was a pretty good day, pain-wise, so I was able to run some errands which was helpful.  I picked up three dozen eggs from a friend with hens, stopped by the local bakery for a loaf of fresh sourdough and a mini pecan pie, Bath & Body Works for some Wallflower refills, and the grocery store for a few other essentials.

Jean has an out-of-town gig tonight so I'm on my own for dinner.  I'll likely just scrounge for some leftovers or something easy.

Have a wonderful day, ladies!

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
Mandy I forgot all about the library ebooks! She just go it last night so we were trying to set it up after branding and all you think about is amazon. Thank you!

Good luck on pinterest I get lost there for hours...

Janice
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:05:36 AM by wrancher »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:28 PM »
Good afternoon Janice and Mandy. :)

Normal day around here.  Will be finishing school for the day after the kids finish eating.  Also have quite a few loads of laundry to get put away.  Feels good to have the food order put away from yesterday and have the cupboards, fridges and freezers fuller (at least for a little while).  Need to get the meat out to defrost for dinner tonight.  I bought some grass fed beef from Azure this month, not a lot because it is so high, but enough to have hamburgers several times this month at least and some extra to add to some meals.  I think we may change where we get our grass-fed cow from this year,because I have noticed how much better the meat is from Azure and that tells me that even though he says he doesn't corn feed them out the last months, that is most likely exactly what he is doing.  For what he charges, I would hope to get exactly what I am paying for, ya know?  It was so beautiful around here yesterday.  Perfect weather.  Would have liked to have gotten some stuff done outside after we got home, but hubby had to run back to town and pick up his tools out of one of the rentals that is being worked on because someone broke into it a couple of days ago and was attempting to take out all the construction supplies.  We know this because they had all been packed to the front door and we had been storing them in the back of the house.  They must have gotten interrupted, thank goodness.  So....new locks on there and not leaving any tools overnight.   

Well, I have nothing exciting to say today, the main news is I am completely miserable because I am covered in chiggers. :P  I really hate them and it seems like I always get them really bad before they ever finally disappear.  And all I did was go out in the front yard that we have been mowing every week since March.  Go figure. ???  Makes it impossible to sleep.

Janice, we are getting rid of old vehicles this spring as well.  One we may just scrap, but one will probably go in our local paper that is just for listing items to sell.

Mandy, my mom does the same thing with the book sales.  We have a huge one that comes to our local "smaller mall" every year and she loads up.  I don't know how she even remembers which books she doesn't have so she doesn't rebuy.  I think this one is a used book sale though, so they are super cheap.

Have a good day.
Lindsay

Offline RenKnitter

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »
Janice, books in the public domain can be downloaded for free from amazon, Project Gutenberg, and several others.  If you like classics or old books, this is great.  Our son has had a Kindle for several years now for some homeschool reading, and he can read classics or library books for free.  Clark Howard, our local consumer  reporter, recommended a kindle or other ereader for students to save money on buying books for school.  Ebooks are often cheaper than physical books.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

http://manybooks.net/

If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can check out some books for free - one a month.