Author Topic: Storing flour  (Read 1085 times)

Offline bobbie78

Storing flour
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »
I made a mistake trying to do what I thought was right! I purchased a 25 lb bag of flour and stored it in a food grade bucket with lid. I also refilled my canister out of the flour in the bucket.  I refilled it twice. I got into the bucket yesterday and there were TONS of those pesky little bugs.  The remaining flour in my canister is fine however. But I was puzzled. I didnt know what I had done wrong. In fact, I was kind of proud of myself! I purchased all that flour at a very frugal price. I thought I was ahead of that game lol.  Well I googled it and read that I should have put the flour in Mylar bags??? And when storing items in those buckets, you should not get into them hardly ever. So I didnt understand what the point was in having my flour stored in that bucket if I couldnt get into it and use it as I had planned.  So I am heading back to the store tomorrow to buy several smaller bags and am going to store them in the freezer like I usually do.  Has this happened to any of you or am I the only silly one who did not research it first?!?!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Storing flour
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »
Hmm...I have not had that issue with my flour stored in buckets.  Are you using gamma seal lids?  Regular lids will not do the trick.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:25:15 PM »
Not sure but I think the trick is put the flour in the freezer 1st then repackage it.  It kills the bugs that are present in all flour. I read that some where.  Mylar might work but killing the bugs that you can't see is the trick. You don't have to leave in freezer. 

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
I agree with Catherine on the gamma lids.  You can get them at Pleasant Hill to fit both 5 and 6 gallon food grade buckets, I believe.  I have also heard what Janice mentioned about putting it in the freezer for a few days before you store it.  With the mylar bags, you could do that, but they are supposed to have the air pulled out of them and then be heat sealed.  I never tried that cause the heat sealer is so expensive.  I am liking just keeping it in the freezer better.  Maybe it is just in my head, but my breads have been turning out better since I have been keeping it there.  Personally, if you have lots of freezer space, I would keep it there.  If you don't, gamma seal lids work quite well. ;D

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:24:41 PM »
Thank you so much! I bought buckets with lids that said ''food grade'' and I assumed that it was fine. I was not using the gamma lids. I just googled them and think that may be the way to go. However, I do have the extra freezer space so I may just go that route.  I cook for just the two of us, but I like having things stored for the holidays, emergencies, etc.  Lesson learned :) Thanks, again! Hope you all are having a great evening!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.