Author Topic: Aldi dishwasher detergent  (Read 8550 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Aldi dishwasher detergent
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
Just wondering if any of you ladies use it or have tried it and what you think?  The individual packets always seem pricey to me as I've been buying the big box of Finish brand powder for years and seem to get at least 60 loads out of that $3.49 box.  However, nowhere else in town besides the commissary seems to carry the Finish powder, and our commissary privileges will end in late January.  Trying to decide how much to stock up ahead or if I can find an acceptable alternative.  I know I do NOT like Cascade.  I read a good thing in Consumer Reports a few years back about Great Value brand but would rather not have to make a separate trip to W-mart if I can reasonably avoid it.  The Target brand seems just so-so.  Any thoughts?

Offline Cheryl

Re: Aldi dishwasher detergent
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
I've only used their brand of dishwashing liquid, so I'm no help.  I've not been disappointed with any purchase from there so maybe it would be worth giving it a try.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline allison5273

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
I use their tabs sometimes and think they work pretty good. I prefer the name brand ones though, either cascade or finish. I usually but them from. BJ's . I tried Aldi's liquid dish washer soap once and I was not happy with it. My dishes did not get clean. That was a couple years ago so it could be different now.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »
Ha!  I will only use Cascade!  I tried using the Costco brand generic of Cascade, and it we could taste it on our dishes (particularly plastics), so since then I've been too scared to try anything else, even though it's one of the only brand-name things I won't budge on!  Curious to see what others say about the Aldi brand.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:22:53 PM »
Ha!  I will only use Cascade!  I tried using the Costco brand generic of Cascade, and it we could taste it on our dishes (particularly plastics), so since then I've been too scared to try anything else, even though it's one of the only brand-name things I won't budge on!  Curious to see what others say about the Aldi brand.

Mandy
Oh, funny!  Maybe it is just how a particular detergent and a particular dishwasher work together?  We just ended up with a film on the dishes (especially glasses) with Cascade.  :(  And now our machine is getting older so we are babying it along till we can afford a new one. 

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
I have used Cascade powder and packets, Electrosol tabs, and Finish.  I have been using Ecover tabs for the last 4 or 5 years.  They are the only ones that didn't leave a film on everything, (weird because they don't have any phosphates or anything).  The drawback is the box only runs 25 loads. 

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »
I think peoples water makes the difference what works and what doesnt. We can also only use cascade or I have very filmy glasses

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
I think peoples water makes the difference what works and what doesnt. We can also only use cascade or I have very filmy glasses

Good point!  We have very hard water here.

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
I have hard water and we have to put stuff in it. I have used the aldi tabs for months now and I like them better than cascade or any of the other ones I have tried. I use vinegar for the rinse aid.
Maleesa

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »
I have hard water and we have to put stuff in it. I have used the aldi tabs for months now and I like them better than cascade or any of the other ones I have tried. I use vinegar for the rinse aid.

Is that the little packets that are plasticky and you put the whole thing in?  That is what our Aldi carries.  Good to know you like them and so good to see you here!  I like your hair, too.

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »

Is that the little packets that are plasticky and you put the whole thing in?  That is what our Aldi carries.  Good to know you like them and so good to see you here!  I like your hair, too.

Thank you, feels good to be back. Yes that is the kind I use and you put the whole thing in the dishwasher.
Maleesa

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »
Well, I did eventually try the Aldi kind and it worked just fine.  However, we finally replaced our dishwasher.  We had tried a used one from the Teen Challenge thrift store but it had problems, so we went ahead and bought a new one, a Bosch.  Not the lowest one but not the high end one either.  And Bosch recommends Finish, which has been my favorite for years anyway, so I'm going to probably just be sticking with Finish.  Bosch is a very eco-friendly brand being from Europe, so many models, including ours, do not have heat dry.  It works with the residual heat from the wash cycle being maintained by the stainless steel interior, and rinse aid is highly recommended.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »
I tried their dishwasher detergent and really like it.  The last time I was out I ended up buying a liquid at Wal-Mart and I do not like it all.  As soon as I'm out of it I will be buying from Aldi.

I really like the Finish brand too.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Well, I did eventually try the Aldi kind and it worked just fine.  However, we finally replaced our dishwasher.  We had tried a used one from the Teen Challenge thrift store but it had problems, so we went ahead and bought a new one, a Bosch.  Not the lowest one but not the high end one either.  And Bosch recommends Finish, which has been my favorite for years anyway, so I'm going to probably just be sticking with Finish.  Bosch is a very eco-friendly brand being from Europe, so many models, including ours, do not have heat dry.  It works with the residual heat from the wash cycle being maintained by the stainless steel interior, and rinse aid is highly recommended.

Great choice on the Bosch!  I bet its super quiet too.  Our new house has some knockoff dishwasher and stove that is called Estate and made by Whirlpool.  We plan on using them for a while but eventually replacing both and we are wanting to get a Bosch dishwasher.  We had one before and absolutely LOVED it!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »

Great choice on the Bosch!  I bet its super quiet too.  Our new house has some knockoff dishwasher and stove that is called Estate and made by Whirlpool.  We plan on using them for a while but eventually replacing both and we are wanting to get a Bosch dishwasher.  We had one before and absolutely LOVED it!

It is quiet!  A 46 for the one we got.  It has a little red light that shines on the floor to let you know it's still running.  And I am pleasantly surprised how dry everything is even without a heated dry cycle.  Pretty much about like the heated dry got them on my previous dishwasher.