Author Topic: 22 days (plus a little)  (Read 8821 times)

Offline Cathie

22 days (plus a little)
« on: December 02, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
so with Christmas Eve being your last official day ........................ how's it going?

:: I have decided to make the kids at the daycare Scottie dogs http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/05/softie_scotty_d.html
Mine won't be a nice as hers (she has made sewing skills) and I didn't buy the good felt, I am just using what I have on hand

:: St Nick day is Saturday so I have the chocolate and I am going to make a run to the dollar store and buy warm gloves and possible warm socks we will see

:: I have decided to fancy write me Christmas cards this year instead of printing out a plan old label

:: I ordered my photos to go in them and they should be here by next Monday so I need to figure out stamp costs so I can buy them

:: still have bought my kids nothing  :(

:: need to pull out all my tote stash in basement and see if I have something I can give them. 

:: stockings - wondering if I have material to make smaller stockings - I really don't want to fill them but they don't want me to get rid of them either - need to think on this one

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: 22 days (plus a little)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
I think I'm doooooone!!!  I am headed into the city to the mall with mom tomorrow, and will pick up little stocking stuffers for Jean, but everything from this point is just small and extra - candy, magazine, etc.  Everyone else is bought for.  Nothing is wrapped, but our tree isn't up yet, and to be honest, I'm not sure I trust Grimm enough with all of those tasty treats and that enticing paper under the tree!

The hard part for me this year is everything else.  I still haven't done ANY decorating; haven't even brought the stuff down from the attic :o.  It's so hard to be up for long periods of time with my hip, so I'm barely keeping up with normal house stuff, much less anything extra!  The tough part is, I am hosting our church girls' ('The Ya-Yas) monthly get-together on the 12th, so I need to make this place at least a little bit festive 8).  Everyone else hosts a couple of times a year, and I only host once, but I host the big Christmas gathering with a ham dinner, cookie exchange, ornament exchange, and goodie bags for everyone, so I don't want to slack!  It's OK, it will get done.

How's everyone else doing?

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
Cathie _ love your scottie dog. It is actually our school mascot so am thinking of making some for the kids friends?! Not sure But I thought I could write the kids name on dog or collar.

I actually ordered my christmas card :o ;D I am usually so behind on this! When Megan was home we did the quickest ever picture (pretty rustic, redneck whatever but it is  a picture)  then yesterday I barely had any time but I  saw something for christmas card from sams club 100 for $15. I had a hard time trying to get it to go through but last night around 10:30 I did it on my phone. Yesterday was the last day.Last year I never got a card out So when I go to the city this weekend I can pick them up! so proud of myself. Ha  I hope to decorate these naked trees tonight and hang lights outside. 

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »
Need to buy a gourmet coffee for a gift.  I am not a coffee drinker so don't begin to know what is good.  Any suggestions?  Something you have tried that was good?   

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
Need to buy a gourmet coffee for a gift.  I am not a coffee drinker so don't begin to know what is good.  Any suggestions?  Something you have tried that was good?

Coffee grounds?  Beans? K-Cups?  If you can, check out Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  Last time I was in there they had a cute display at the front of coffee items, including K-Cups arranged into a holiday tree and a gingerbread house (adorable!), but I believe they also had non-Keurig items there as well.  I feel like coffee preference is one of those things that's so personal, it might just be best to go with something generic, or a variety.

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 05:59:30 AM »
Cathie _ love your scottie dog. It is actually our school mascot so am thinking of making some for the kids friends?! Not sure But I thought I could write the kids name on dog or collar.

That is my plan as well.

Thanks for the compliment but those are hers,   I will take pictures of mine when I am done.  My sewing skills are not as good as hers but I think it will be okay.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 07:16:18 AM »
I think I'm pretty much done for the kids.  Still need to order gift cards for parents (already ordered them each a gift).  Also, need to buy for our adopted family here or come up with something to make.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 01:17:23 PM »
OK Cathie, this number got me movin"!! ;D

Got all the ingredients for the Christmas treats.  Settled on 3 fairly easy ones to keep it simple.  Just need to find some Dandies marshmallows for one of them. (Dandies are the only ones that don't hurt our bellies. :P)

Got all the kids Christmas Eve outfits.  Bought 3 the other day at 70% off and got the others back in February at our clearance shopping trip.

Got all of Gabby's stuff ordered (she is the most "fun" to shop for because she is my "girlie" girl and loves all things princess. ;)

Got a few smaller gifts for a couple of the older boys.  Today I am placing an order that should put me at the three quarters finished mark.

Still need to get the tree up.  We only use lights cause the littles like to pull the ornaments off. 

Also need all things wrapping-wise.

Need to do the dreaded Christmas picture.  Hard to get all nine to hold still and be happy at the same time.  I once got an idea from someone.  They got tired of trying to get all their little ones to smile for a picture, so she took a picture of them crying.  The caption under it read "Have a Crappy Christmas".   Even though that would be easier, I wouldn't do that......or would I? ;) ;D

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:39:54 AM »
The engine light came on in my van the other day.  Doug took it to the shop and "blah, blah, blah intake manifold blah, blah, blah $897".  That is all I heard!!  Boo!  My credit card will never, ever get paid off!  This also cuts down on the amount of money I have for Christmas and also the amount I feel comfortable putting on a credit card.

I haven't really made any progress in the last week or so but I know what I need to do - does that count?  I think Doug and I will go out Saturday morning and finish up the gifts for the kids.  I am finished Doug other than his stocking and that is just little stuff although I do not know how I am going to get it since I can't drive.  Because the car was so much, I am going to tell him to just get me the Santa he gets me every year and not worry about anything else.  My birthday is only about a week after Christmas so he can get me something little for that.

Most of what we have left for Doug's family is gift cards so I can get them with his next pay if I have to do that.  I may get the girls' bus drivers gift cards, too or see if Molly wants to make cookies to give out.  Like Mandy, I am limited by my inabilities this year so am just doing the best that I can.

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
We pulled everything down from the attic today.  We also decided not to put up the Christmas tree this year.  Between a human-sized dog who likes to 'explore' (and could easily chomp through an ornament in one bite) and a need for seating room for my girl's night party, it just makes things easier.  I still decorated the mantle and parts of the kitchen, and will do the hall/guest bathroom as well.  It is so freeing not to have to worry about that tree!

OK, back to addressing endless cards :)

Mandy

Offline Rooney

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »
Will be finishing shopping online tonight on Amazon and a couple items at HomeDepot.  After that I will be done with the gift buying.  The best thing is that it will have been done spending just a little over HALF what we normally spend, but I still feel like I did OK with it and got some things that each asked for.  All left to buy will be the wrapping paper and tape!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Sometimes I feel that the wrapping paper, bows and tape costs as much as the gifts!!!

Denise

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:57:33 PM »
We are going to finish shopping on Sunday. I only need a few things for the little boys and then a book or two for each of them. I am getting my oldest boy the Action Bible does anyone have ideas for a easy to read early teenage girl bible?
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
We are going to finish shopping on Sunday. I only need a few things for the little boys and then a book or two for each of them. I am getting my oldest boy the Action Bible does anyone have ideas for a easy to read early teenage girl bible?

My first bible (well, the first one that was MINE) was the YouthWalk Devotional Bible I got when I was about 14 and I LOVED it.  I still have it, and it's the one I refer to most, with all of my highlights and notes :)

http://www.amazon.com/Youthwalk-Devotional-Bible-International-Ministries/dp/0310900336/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417878291&sr=8-2&keywords=youthwalk+devotional+bible

Mandy
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:05:36 AM by MissMandy »

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 08:41:17 AM »
Thanks!
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.