Author Topic: 2015 Gardening Plans  (Read 4488 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

2015 Gardening Plans
« on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:33 AM »
Should we maybe have a running thread for this as we do with financial, grocery, and Christmas topics?  What do you think?

Anyway, whether or not we do it perpetually, is anyone else working on your garden plans?  I haven't done a formal "plan" the last couple of years but, with the removal and addition of garden beds this year, I think will organize it a bit more than usual on paper to make sure I do enough starts.  Baker Creek catalog came, maybe 10 days or so ago, so I've been browsing through that and circling varieties I'd like to try this year.

Also, back in the fall when the Farmer's Market still was happening regularly, I had a long talk with an old-timer there who is friendly and loves to talk gardens.  He gave me some suggestions that may prove to be helpful for this year's garden, and told me where to buy buckets of worm castings fairly inexpensively.  He recommended some tomato and green bean varieties that do well for him here so I will give them a whirl with mine not having done well in the past.

Offline gaggleofseven

Re: 2015 Gardening Plans
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »
Catherine, we did not have a garden last year, and I've already purposed that we will grow something in 2015. I am looking forward to the seed catalogs starting to arrive in the mail. I know for sure we'll have tomatoes, lettuce, and green onions. Not sure beyond that. Cabbages have done very well for us, but they take up a lot of space in my small raised beds. I'm trying to think of what's expensive at the grocery store and plant those things.
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 10:26:48 AM »
Catherine, we did not have a garden last year, and I've already purposed that we will grow something in 2015. I am looking forward to the seed catalogs starting to arrive in the mail. I know for sure we'll have tomatoes, lettuce, and green onions. Not sure beyond that. Cabbages have done very well for us, but they take up a lot of space in my small raised beds. I'm trying to think of what's expensive at the grocery store and plant those things.
Jennie

That's a wise move, Jennie.  Same here.  Carrots and cabbages are cheap to buy and not on the dirty dozen list either (though we like to plant some purple carrots for fun), but organic lettuce and cherry tomatoes are not cheap and ARE usually Dirty Dozen.  If we had room for a large garden, I'd love to grow loads of things, but with space at a premium, it makes sense to grow with finances in mind.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 10:59:06 AM »
I can't wait til garden time! 

This coming year I'd like to grow my salad ingredients - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions and we always have green beans, okra, peppers, and squash.  We'd like to try some new varieties of all of those.  My walking onions must've walked away because I can't find them.  :)  I'd like to replant them, expand my garlic and asparagus beds, and maybe grow some shallots.

I ordered my Baker Creek catalog weeks ago but haven't received it yet.
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »
I can't wait til garden time! 

This coming year I'd like to grow my salad ingredients - lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions and we always have green beans, okra, peppers, and squash.  We'd like to try some new varieties of all of those.  My walking onions must've walked away because I can't find them.  :)  I'd like to replant them, expand my garlic and asparagus beds, and maybe grow some shallots.

I ordered my Baker Creek catalog weeks ago but haven't received it yet.

Cheryl, I've had good luck with okra. I think I'll add that to my list. What are walking onions?

Jennie
Jennie

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »
Jennie, walking onions form small bulbs at the top of the stalk, when the stalk falls over, the bulbs take root and you have more plants.  My grandmother had these for years but mine only lasted a couple years before they disappeared.  Last year I put a couple of bulbs in a flower pot and started more.  Hopefully I can get my patch going again.  This website tells all about them -

www.egyptianwalkingonion.com
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 08:13:19 PM »
Cheryl, thanks for the great information. I had never heard of walking onions--very fascinating.
Jennie

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »
Catherine, do the purple carrots taste like the orange? Could I grow carrots in raised beds? Ours are about 10" deep, so not much room for downward expansion.

I just put another blanket on my lap. It's cold, and I'm ready for Spring!  ;)
Jennie

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:14:57 AM »
Catherine, do the purple carrots taste like the orange? Could I grow carrots in raised beds? Ours are about 10" deep, so not much room for downward expansion.

I just put another blanket on my lap. It's cold, and I'm ready for Spring!  ;)

Pretty much.  We've also done yellow ones and they are extra sweet.  I think you'd be fine with about 10 inches...we grow ours in raised beds.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:32 AM »
Southern Seed Savers Exchange catalog arrived yesterday, so I hope to spend a little time planning today.  :)

Offline Linda

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:11:06 PM »
I am so ready to start my garden... but it will have to wait till the end of April or first of May...tomato's, peppers, okra, squash and cucumbers are on my list... i did put last years pumpkins in pots the last of November and covered them with leaves... hope they grow like they did last year... when we get our onion bulbs we are moving them to a much sunnier spot this year and we are going to do cabbage in containers...that way we can cover them while they are little and keep the moths out of them....