Author Topic: Healthy filling lunches for little kids  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Rooney

Healthy filling lunches for little kids
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for some lunches I could use at home for my kids?  I need them to be healthy, but filling so they are not hungry in an hour or two. 

Offline natesmom

Re: Healthy filling lunches for little kids
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
Mini bagels with flavored cream cheese, celery with peanut butter, raw veggies with ranch dsg, grilled cheese, soup, granola bars, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, trail mix, supper leftovers, pasta salad, tuna salad.

I don't know how young your children are, but maybe a snack time built into your schedule would help the youngest ones. When tummies are small and don't hold much at a time, snacks can keep them happy  ;)

Nate's Mom

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
Some lunches that my children liked were homemade chicken nuggets; chili w/ oyster crackers & shredded cheese; bean & cheese burritos; English muffin pizzas; rice w/diced chicken & shredded cheese; French toast sticks; vegetable beef soup w/homemade bread; and chicken & noodles.

Some of the "sides" along with the main dish were string cheese; yogurt; cheese & crackers; fruits & veggies; and homemade granola bars.

I totally agree with natesmom; my children usually had an a.m. and p.m. snack when we were homeschooling. It helped keep them on focus and having enough energy to stick with their school work. Even just a small bowl of Goldfish or something similar helped hold them over between meals.

Blessings,
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Sandlappersue

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
Ditto on what was said. I think that protein is very important and try to make sure that is in the meals as I think this is most filling. Whole grains and fruits and veggies are all filling as well....yep, smaller meals and more frequently is always best no matter what age. We love to have cut up fruit (especially apples) with sour cream and cinnamon dip. Yummy! Cottage cheese and berries are a biggy here for me and my girls. We even do Vienna sausage and SPAM. Yep, I know!  ::) ;D

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »

Ditto on what was said. I think that protein is very important and try to make sure that is in the meals as I think this is most filling. Whole grains and fruits and veggies are all filling as well....yep, smaller meals and more frequently is always best no matter what age. We love to have cut up fruit (especially apples) with sour cream and cinnamon dip. Yummy! Cottage cheese and berries are a biggy here for me and my girls. We even do Vienna sausage and SPAM. Yep, I know!  ::) ;D
Susan, good idea with adding more protein, as we eat most of that at our supper meal and I am thinking this may be the problem.  I already do snacks (1 between breakfast and lunch, two between lunch and supper, and two after supper).  They have hollow legs I guess :D

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
Protein and fat is my solution. Caleb loves to make a scrambled egg. Heap of fat (butter, bacon grease, coconut oil), add the scrambled egg, cheese if they'll eat that and it typically fills them up for a couple hours. Other things we do is peanut butter and honey sandwiches; pasta with add-ins (meat, sauce, etc); tortillas with melted cheese (Caleb calls it pizza). I like keeping fruits and whole wheat stuff around for snacks. Logan is gobbling down halved grapes right now. :)

I think batch cooking can be your best friend. Banana bread, rolls, big pot of plain pasta, muffins, etc. Heh, I'll even hand out bacon strips to buy myself a few extra minutes to pull a meal together.

Oy... now Logan is on his third bowl of grapes! I hear you on the hollow legs. 
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie