Author Topic: homemade yogurt  (Read 1729 times)

Offline bobbie78

homemade yogurt
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »
I've been wanting to try homemade yogurt. Do any of you make your own? Would you mind sharing your recipe and any tips? I know you need a starter (store bought yogurt) the first time, then after that you can use your own. I've seen other bloggers post about their yogurt being too runny. What can i do to avoid that? Also, how long do you let your yogurt strain? TIA.
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: homemade yogurt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:44:56 AM »
I basically followed the directions from Kitchen Stewardship blog when starting.  http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2012/05/29/making-homemade-yogurt-easy-picture-tutorial/

You don't strain it at all unless you're going for Greek-style yogurt. 

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:09:04 PM »
I have made yogurt in the past and I think I actually used Crystal's recipe (The Family Homestead). I don't make it anymore since I don't have kids home much anymore. For two of us we just buy yogurt now. Same with a lot of other things. We just don't eat a lot with two of us so making something lasts almost too long. I do make our bread and I cook from scratch but a meal will last a whole week. I'm really on a blah streak. I don't feel like cooking, I don't feel like eating.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 03:07:48 PM »
Thanks, Catherine.  I will try this!!
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
Thanks, Catherine.  I will try this!!

You're welcome!  Let us know how it comes out.

Offline Mountain Mama

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:15:51 PM »
If you need it thicker you can add a packet of unflavored gelatin.  My yogurt is thinner than store bought but I don't mind.  Using whole milk helps too.  I have never strained my yogurt so I don't know about that.

~Blessings~
  Cindy