Author Topic: Preparing for a tough winter  (Read 14527 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Preparing for a tough winter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
Oh wow, Mandy!  Have fun shopping for one.  We'd like to get one, but it's just not in the budget right now.  Hopefully next year!   :)
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Oh no, no, no...it's not in our budget either!  Not sure we even need a whole home one, but I did ask if we could see what the difference in cost would be between getting a portable one powerful enough for everything we wanted and getting a whole-home system.  If it's negligible (which I don't think it will be), I'd rather just wait and get the whole home system.  I guess since we'll be finishing the basement soon, this is the time to think about it so we don;t have to retroactively install the setup (or something...?).

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 10:47:08 AM »
Ah, gotcha. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline luv2bmom

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 05:55:38 AM »
I was thrilled to find a special at Krogers this week on Charmin tp, they have the 12 double bonus roll packs for $5!  It's the good stuff too, the ultra soft or strong!  I've picked up 3 already and on manager special a box of 72 utility candles for $5.29. 

I still need to get canned veggies...
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
I've been bottling and preserving everything I can get my hands on.  I've done 3 quarts of homegrown grape juice, 11 half pints of grape jam (more to come), 10 pints of chicken, 8 pints of chicken stock, and 6 pints of homegrown corn.  I also froze about 4 quart bags worth and froze 6 quart bags of shredded squash.  I bought a few cans of each of peaches, mandarine oranges, pears, peas, beets, corn, and beans along with some cream soups.  I bought a whole picnic ham today and will be canning that this weekend.

I've stocked up on clothing for both trev and me and the kids.  I still need to get warm jammies for the kids and maisie needs a few more shirts, and snow pants, but for the most part, we're good to go.  We got snow last week here in Utah, so I'm wondering if my feelings are right.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 06:30:33 AM »
In addition to purchases at the store, we are stocking up on wood since we heat with a woodstove. Sam's cousin bought the lot next to his house and cleared some of it and gave us all the oak that was cut down.  What a blessing!!!  We have been busy cutting, busting and stacking wood. 

I have a few extra dollars and will be using it to stock up on canned peas, corn, soups and a few boxes of rice-a-roni/pasta-roni type things.  I like to keep the rice/pasta/potato type things on hand in case the power goes out.  They're easy to fix on a camp stove. 

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »
Last week we hit Aldi and bought flats (12 cans each) of potatoes, black beans, and peas, as well as a case of water bottles.  I've got several jars of peaches canned, and have about 10-12 cans of tuna already. Yesterday we picked up another 2.5 gallon container of water (we're on a well, so if we lose power, we lose water, unless and until we install a generator).

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »
We got more snow again this morning.  It's not sticking past the morning, but we rarely get snow this early let alone in september.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »

isn't that lovely I'm in the white zone  >:(

Offline Cathie

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

isn't that lovely I'm in the white zone  >:(

the bitter cold and in the snow filled  >:( >:(

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
I've wondered what exactly "chilly" is?  That's what we're suppose to be.  ???

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
I need to start making a list

we have a generator but only use it to do the fridge and freezer.  I am thinking I want to empty the big freezer - see how much energy it is really using.

we already have a wood stove but I am going to find the camping gear and move it to the one basement and out of the cellar.  I have a stove, mini tanks, and I will find my cast iron camping pots and kettles for emergency

I probably should really get cracking on this since it is already October  :o :o :o

Offline Cathie

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 02:52:32 PM »
I've wondered what exactly "chilly" is?  That's what we're suppose to be.  ???

Beth

I was thinking the same thing - chilly to who?

Offline Cathie

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Anyone have a check list they go off of?

Offline Cathie