Author Topic: Monday. March 16, 2015  (Read 2947 times)

Offline wrancher

Monday. March 16, 2015
« on: March 16, 2015, 06:57:40 AM »
Good Morning

Offline Cheryl

Re: Monday. March 16, 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
Good morning!

I'll make this quick since my computer is crashing this morning.  Not sure what's going on with it.

Just the usual house tidying and school work to be completed around here with some outdoor chores later.  We've done the first mowing of the season and started pruning the scuppernong and muscadine vines.  It's time to get the garden spot ready.  I am so ready for some fresh vegetables! :D

I'll try to check in a little later if this computer will let me. :-\  I hope you all have a great day!
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 07:06:48 AM »
Gorgeous day again. Loving it! After Ross and I do morning chores we will take our old chore pickup in to have bale bed removed and put on new pickup. We will take both pickups to a local shop to have done it will probably take 2-3 days for sure. ugh  I cant wait.  So normal day and then I will pickup little kids as ashley will work on school work and lane has 1st golf practice. We know very little about this sport. That is why I am letting him go out for it free golf lessons. Ha I think it is something you can use at most age levels for being with friends or business contacts.  We need to get him clubs yet. I am still working on deeper house cleaning. Lindsay and all you girls have me motivated. I am working on Ashleys and my bedroom this year. Mine gets new flooring and bedframe and total clean out. Ashleys get paint, new shade pretty much new decor all around she really doesnt have much going besides a mess. Calves are calling my name

Coffee time
Janice

Offline Linda

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
Good Morning, another beautiful day on hand for Kansas...85 today.. i am going to enjoy it..
Have some cleaning up to do... Laundry to get done and hung out, dishes and that stuff but as much as i can i will stay out.
Gary and I finished up the new fence for the garden, and got the bunny wire across the bottom of it.. I still think they can get in but we will see.. once May gets here i should be able to plant with no freeze issues... I am like Cheryl, so ready for fresh veggies..

Cheryl, hope your computer gets straightend out...

Janice, i don't understand the whole golf thing but both of my boys love it...We got Nick's first golf club set at a pawn shop,that way if he didn't like it,it was not such a big loss of money.... enjoy your day...

dinner tonight is pancakes and bacon.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
Good morning!

Count us in the beautiful weather days...supposed to hit 80 today, then go back down to 60's and 70's the next 10 days with some good chances for rain predicted.  So, with the kids home on spring break and my not having to go to work until 4 today, I plan to work outside planting out some lettuce and flower starts, along with some squash seeds.  We are doing the tomatoes a bit differently this year so I will probably wait till Earl is home to plant those. 

This weekend was the last one that my friend from Maine is in town.  I had to work Saturday, but after church yesterday, we went hiking out in the Wichita Mountains again.  She has loved hiking here and invited me to come on a hiking trip in Maine.  I hope to do that one of these days, maybe next year.  Need to save up some airfare first.  ;)

On a sad note, we had to return our little dog Athena to the Humane Society we adopted her from.  It was just not working for our family.  I really believe in keeping a pet for all of it's life, but Earl felt she was causing safety risks for our family.  She would bolt out the front door when a child came in or out, for no reason whatsoever, and just take off running.  Then the kids take off running, sometimes with us not aware of what happened.  And she was making it several streets over.  We were afraid she or one of the kids would get hit by a car doing this.  Earl talked with the Humane Society foster parents we got her from and they were very gracious about taking her back (we had to sign a contract when adopting that we would return her to them if needed) and said that they had had the same issue with her but had thought she was ready to be adopted out.  They will work with her more on this before looking for a home for her again.  We were all very upset by this, having had our other pets so long-term and having the same plans for her.  Makes me feel like a bad person in some respects, but my kids are more important and we will eventually find another dog right for our family.

Well, better get on with the day.  I have sheets in the washer and darks in the dryer.  Need to do a few things in the kitchen and then get some work done outside.

Have a great day, all!
Catherine

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:27:58 AM »
Good morning everyone. So sorry you had to make that hard decision Catherine. I have been doing some crazy cleaning latelt. Steamed cleaned the couch last night as suggested and it's getting better will do it one more time tonight before I return the machine. One of the kids wanted something on the puter this moring but it won't let me login and it's not bc of wrong password. Goggling it says to restore but it won't do anything when I press the f8 button so hubby will have to do it with the disk on his day off bc I'm not puter savvy and these things always pop up when I'm the one getting on the putter grrrrrr. Off to do more laundry have a great day everyone.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 10:44:48 AM »
Good morning all!

I have had  a pretty busy morning so far, for me.. in comparison to most of you it doesn't see like much!   ;D

Its rainy here today!  We need it the rain so I am happy but I miss the sunshine.  I think I struggle with SAD.

I took my hubs to work this morning.  His car is in the shop and it may not be worth it to repair so we are deciding what to do.  Looks like we may be getting another vehicle.  Its probably a good thing though because we have talked about getting a car that is more fuel efficient for the boys and I.  I drive more mileage so he would use my SUV and I would use the car.  Praying that we can find something that is safe, a good deal and that will work for us for many years.  On the way home, I stopped at Dutch Bros. for coffee and once home, I got dinner in the crockpot and breakfast is cooking now.  Not bad for 9:30am.  I don't usually start the day with a bang.. LOL

We're headed to swim team practice for Trev this afternoon and I'll work out while he's there.  I need to double up classes today to work off this latte  ;)  Trevor is swimming on Sunday at the 14 and under Junior Olympics.  If you could pray for him as we go in to that, I would appreciate it.

The boys have a Scout, Order of the Arrow meeting this evening too. 

I ordered my seeds last night.  I am only planning a garden box or 2.  I wish I could do more but this being all new to us (not completely new but its been a while since we really gardened).  I would rather keep it on the smaller side to set us up for success.  I ordered tomato varieties, pepper varieties, cauliflower, snap peas, zucchini and a couple other squash varieties.

Dinner tonight is chicken and kale stew. 

Catherine - don't feel bad!  You did what was best for ALL involved.  If the pup needs more training, the foster family can handle that.  The pup may need constant training and supervision and you are too busy for that and you can be worried about the pup and your kids safety.  You did the right thing. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:45:48 AM by shedrinkzcoffee »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:55:37 AM »

Catherine - don't feel bad!  You did what was best for ALL involved.  If the pup needs more training, the foster family can handle that.  The pup may need constant training and supervision and you are too busy for that and you can be worried about the pup and your kids safety.  You did the right thing.

Thanks, Erica.  I do think it was probably the right thing...just one of those decisions that feels good and bad at the same time, you know?  She was a little sweetheart, just came ingrained with some bad habits (in addition to the bolting, if not crated when we left, she would empty the trash cans.  If crated, she would sometimes potty in the crate and then we had to wash the crate and her-#2.  Morgan's doll lost it's arm and hands, as well as her Barbie.

Another component that probably subconsciously affects us in this is that my cousin was killed by being hit by a car chasing his dog that had wandered into the road.  I was in my early 20's at the time and he was 11.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:23:07 PM by greyhoundgirl »

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »
That would definitely have played in the decision for me too! 

((HUGS))

Offline Rooney

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
Good afternoon friends!

Such a beautiful day!  Sunny and 74!  Kids are working hard to finish school up in the next couple of hours so they can go in the backyard and play for a while.  They played out all day yesterday.  I got all of the stuff I needed to start freezing kale. Needed ice trays (our ice maker quit working), a strainer, and some smaller ziplocs.  I think I may have to wait a few days till it cools off though because when it is warmer during the daytime the kale wilts until night.  It is best to freeze when it is fresh picked and crisp.  Thanks again for the idea, Janice.  Went out to the greenhouse and took some pictures yesterday (haven't done that in a while.  The fish in one of the auqaponics tanks are about big enough to fillet.  Can someone tell me what to do with fresh winter squash?  Not freezing, but using it now.  My first squash harvest and they are coming in too slow to freeze right now.

Need to get caught up on laundry this afternoon.  Got behind because one of them clogged and hubby couldn't get to unclogging it for a few days.  Yes, he is that busy.  Have some beans soaking in fridge and need to get those cooking here in a few minutes.  Not really sure what will be for supper tonight.  Nothing really sounds good at all.  Maybe something simple like grilled cheese and soup.

Catherine, so sorry about the dog situation, but you did the right thing.  Kids safety is most important.  I imagine the decision was easy but actually following through with it, the hard part.

Norma, so glad the steam cleaner worked. :)

Erica, hoping Trevor does well and has fun. :)

Well, it has taken me about 45 minutes to type this because of having to deal with one "drama" after another.  Good thing its pretty outside.  Some people need to run off some of this energy! :)

Blessings,
Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »
What kind of winter squashes do you have, Lindsay?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:38:09 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline Rooney

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 03:04:04 PM »
What kind of winter squashes do you have, Lindsay?

I really don't know.  I just know when I planted them it said winter squash on the seed packet and the outside of the squash is a dark green color.  A big one is sitting on my kitchen counter right now mocking me because it will probably go bad before I figure out what to do with it. :P  There are about 20 more out there that aren't ready to pick yet, so I need to figure it out.  I use frozen squash from the store to bulk up pizza and pasta sauces, but never had fresh squash to deal with.  I am still trying to get the hang of this whole gardening thing and probably should have just stuck with things I know how to deal with first, but we have to learn sometime, I guess. :P

Offline wrancher

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
OK dont laugh but my absolute favorite way to eat squash is with butter and lots of brown sugar. Delicious and probably takes the healthy right out of it. We could eat bowls of the sweet stuff :P ;) ;D

Offline wrancher

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 06:08:13 PM »
I cut them open in half scoop seeds out and bake sometimes with butter in. Then I scoop it out and then add the good stuff. Lindsay What are in your bowls by your mixer. neat picture.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 06:09:31 PM »
Catherine dont feel bad about dog. I really think you made the best decision. Your family is more important.