Author Topic: Monday, March 23  (Read 1513 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Monday, March 23
« on: March 23, 2015, 08:17:45 AM »
Good morning!

It's really cloudy and supposed to rain.  I hope so.  We need the rain.  It's been a dry winter so anything we get now will help with summer water supplies.

Today Alex has a dentist appointment then school.  I have the usual round of pick ups and drop offs this afternoon, with the additional pick up of a friend's son from school.  I also am picking up my Zaycon chicken order today.

Today I have laundry to do.  There are clothes from the last laundry day that need to be put away, then the usual weekly laundry to do.  The house isn't too bad--Christie had her birthday party on Saturday night so things look pretty good.  Just a little pick up here and there.

I also have to make bread and a few other things.  I need to go over the menu and do a grocery shopping trip this afternoon after I take Alex to school.  I also will spend the evening getting my chicken into Foodsaver bags.

I've also got a bunch of little things on my to do list that I'll knock off here and there.

Hope you all have a great day!

Merilee

Offline pamgonzo

Re: Monday, March 23
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Good Morning!

Back from vacation!  It was an amazing 17 days away in sunshine, but now back to reality!  Back to 26 degrees and cloudy.  :P

I of course have tons to do to get back in the swing of things. 
First will be sorting laundry and getting a load going before heading out to grab some groceries. (No food anywhere!) 

I'm getting a slow start since I overslept.  I got up around 6 to go to the bathroom, and thought, "I will just lay back down for a few minutes", well, that turning into me waking up at 9!  I guess vacation takes a lot out of you!

Guess I should put on a happy face and get going!! 
Have an awesome day all!!

Pam
Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:46:45 AM »
Good morning!

Sitting here having late coffee and reading a little on the computer.  Got the kids to school, ran to Office Depot, the health food store, and Hobby Lobby on various errands.  Came home and folded a huge load of darks that someone who will remain nameless had stuffed into the washer last night before bed.  Washed towels and have them drying now, and Max's sheets are running through the washer at the moment.  I have a few areas I really need to focus on around here today.  One is a kitchen counter where I keep the printer, paperwork, and produce.  It's time to go through the basket of paid bills I keep there and clear it out, as well as filing receipts.  I also need to get my vitamin containers filled up for the week.  May order Bountiful Baskets if it's stuff we want this week, but have to wait till noon for that.  Otherwise, just some picking up around here before time to head to work.  Oh, and making spaghetti sauce for my family for dinner while I'm at work.

Yesterday after church, we worked out in the back yard for awhile.  Got in about 40 lettuce starts, 24 tomato plants, and some various cleanup done.  Earl planted 2 peach trees, 1 plum tree, and 1 apple tree on Saturday.  We have 2 cherry trees and another apple tree on order as well.

Well, better get moving...have a great day!
Catherine

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
Good morning everyone! :)

The kids got up early this morning and are having an early lunch, so while they are eating, Momma gets a few minutes of computer time. :)  Today is busy as Mondays always are.  Have to finish school up for the day, run at least 4 loads of laundry (already done 2),
and then at 3:00 go pick up the Azure order.  That will take at least an hour to put away when we get back, so I need to have dinner ready to just warm up, which means I need to go ahead and start the meat cooking here in a minute.

I don't know what has gotten into me, must be the beautiful weather or something, but the last 4 days I have been on a cleaning and purging spree.  I have gone through my whole kitchen (minus 2 cabinets that I will finish today).  I have washed every pot, pan, dish, glass, and piece of flatware in there.  I also wiped out and disinfected all the insides of the cabinets (and I have ALOT of cabinets!)  Cleaned out both fridges and freezers in the kitchen, and my oldest helped yesterday by taking down all of the decorative stuff on top of the cabinets and washing it and then dusting the tops of the cabinets and refrigerators.  (he actually enjoys helping me clean and giving double time on his allowance didn't hurt either ;))  He does a really good job and doesn't mind doing the things I don't like to, like cleaning on top of things.  At the same time, I have been cleaning out my walk-in closet and getting rid of lots.  We had some rentals open up, so I have prime yard sale locations for at least the next two weeks and need to take advantage of it.  At the same time I am cleaning out my laundry room and washing down everything.  So, hoping to be done with the kitchen, closet and laundry room all this week.  I am looking for some containers, at least 1 gallon, to store dry goods in my cabinets, but don't want plastic.  Trying to find something affordable in glass or stainless steel, with no luck so far.  What do you use for dry goods storage, like rice and beans and popcorn?  I don't want buckets, got plenty of those.  Never should have watched that extreme organization video the other day! ;D  I am buying a label maker, so there is no hope for me now! ;D

Merilee, do you like your foodsaver?  I bought one a year and a half ago, but it is still in the box.  Bought it with the intention that when we harvest the tilapia, to freeze it that way.  Is it easy to use or a mess to clean up?

Pam, bet you came back with an awesome tan! :)

Catherine, I have always wanted peach trees. :)

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Lindsay

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:46:46 AM »
Lindsay, I use 1/2 gallon glass jars, but you could just use 1 gallon ones instead.  I think Azure even sells them if you can't find them locally.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
Lindsay, I use 1/2 gallon glass jars, but you could just use 1 gallon ones instead.  I think Azure even sells them if you can't find them locally.

Thank you, Catherine!  I just looked and the gallon ones are just what I need.  The price is right too.  Wish I would have put them on this months order.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:16:13 AM »

Thank you, Catherine!  I just looked and the gallon ones are just what I need.  The price is right too.  Wish I would have put them on this months order.

Do you have ACE hardware in your area?   That's where I find my 1/2 gallon ones.  Only place in town that I know of, and they're reasonable.

Offline 4kidsmom

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
Rooney, I LOVE my FoodSaver.  It is not a mess at all.  The rolls to make the bags are a bit pricey but I don't mind paying that when I know that my food will stay good.  Two months ago or so I cleaned out my freezer drawer in my fridge and had to throw away some bags of food that were in Ziplocks that had gotten badly freezer-burned.  I have not had any problems with freezer burn with the Foodsaver bags.

I mostly use it for beef, chicken, pork and cheese.  Haven't tried it for fruits and vegetables.

Merilee

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »

Do you have ACE hardware in your area?   That's where I find my 1/2 gallon ones.  Only place in town that I know of, and they're reasonable.

Yeah, we have one in our town actually.  I just have never been in it.  Never really thought to since Lowes and HomeDepot have been around.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
Rooney, I LOVE my FoodSaver.  It is not a mess at all.  The rolls to make the bags are a bit pricey but I don't mind paying that when I know that my food will stay good.  Two months ago or so I cleaned out my freezer drawer in my fridge and had to throw away some bags of food that were in Ziplocks that had gotten badly freezer-burned.  I have not had any problems with freezer burn with the Foodsaver bags.

I mostly use it for beef, chicken, pork and cheese.  Haven't tried it for fruits and vegetables.

Merilee
I actually even bought the foodsaver bags that go with it when I bought the foodsaver.  Also got the jar-lid sealer thing for dry-canning.  None of it has made it out of the box.  I have the problem with freezer burn too, especially when the kids stick something in a Ziploc in the door of the freezer. 

Oh, you can call me by my name, if you want.  I haven't been called Rooney by anyone since college. :) Takes me back. :)
Lindsay

Offline wrancher

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
Good Afternoon

Mondays are always busy it seems.  Back from last basketball tourney. Yeah. Allisons team got 2nd and Levi not sure he said 4th place. They both did good and glad to be over. The only thing we have now is Lane is in golf.  Nothing too intense I think he only has 3 meets as this is his 1st year. So home with the baby chicks. I was 15 short so I might order some more to pickup on Friday when kids have appts.  Calving chroes kept me busy this morning then checking baby chicks. Ran Ross to town to work on new pickup to get the bale bed on. Getting tired of him working on it when we are paying someone else to do it.  >:(   This afternoon I am watching heifers, chicks and finishing laundry and dishes and working on some bookwork. I think I was overcharged so that is my top priority! This also makes me mad >:(  And I really am in a pretty good mood.   ;D So trying to see how much $$ I have coming to me. (I hope!)  I got my flooring also this weekend so trying to find a day for the installer.  Cant wait to get things cleaned good! I want it to feel like I am moving into a new house. Better get going

Lindsay- I have a foodsaver and love it when I use it. I wish I used it more often. It really is the easiest thing to clean up.  The food saver itself just needs wiped off it is very eay to maintain. Once you start using it nothing is safe. (Meaning I foodsaver anything handy when I have it out) I order the bags right from foodsaver. They usually have a coupon.  I prefer the premade bags when I use it. I also am switching mainly to glass but terrible expensive and hate when kids break or crack it. This is where the food saver comes in handy. When I buy oatmeal for instance in 25lb bags I food saver in bags so I only have to open a small amount and it stays fresher longer. I also do sugar and flour. I need to do it for my brown sugar and powdered sugar but I think I might get sealable containers. You are inspiring me to get cleaning. I just need more time in a day.