Author Topic: Wednesday, March 25  (Read 1591 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Wednesday, March 25
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »
Today is Christie's 16th birthday!

Today I will be getting ready for our family party.  Last night we went shopping for her summer clothes.  I also got some new things for myself.  So I've got presents to wrap.  Also a little decorating to do.

Yesterday I had a plumber come out to check the pipes under the tub.  We've had water dripping down the drywall in the downstairs bathroom and I thought a pipe had cracked or something.  Turns out the water was getting behind the fixtures when we showered because of bad caulk.  So we just have to replace the caulk.  I also had him look at the toilet in the upstairs bathroom.  It wasn't flushing well, despite using the plunger, the auger and Drano.  He snaked it and it's OK but he recommended a new toilet.  So my question is, how hard is it to replace a toilet ourselves?  I get the general principles (from watching many bathroom segments on This Old House).  Or should we have our plumber do it, since water is involved and this is the upstairs bathroom?

Hope you all have a good day.

Merilee

Offline Rooney

Re: Wednesday, March 25
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »
Today is Christie's 16th birthday!

Today I will be getting ready for our family party.  Last night we went shopping for her summer clothes.  I also got some new things for myself.  So I've got presents to wrap.  Also a little decorating to do.

Yesterday I had a plumber come out to check the pipes under the tub.  We've had water dripping down the drywall in the downstairs bathroom and I thought a pipe had cracked or something.  Turns out the water was getting behind the fixtures when we showered because of bad caulk.  So we just have to replace the caulk.  I also had him look at the toilet in the upstairs bathroom.  It wasn't flushing well, despite using the plunger, the auger and Drano.  He snaked it and it's OK but he recommended a new toilet.  So my question is, how hard is it to replace a toilet ourselves? I get the general principles (from watching many bathroom segments on This Old House).  Or should we have our plumber do it, since water is involved and this is the upstairs bathroom?

Hope you all have a good day.

Merilee

Ha!!  It can't be too difficult because we have had to do it more times than I can count.  My husband is a pro now! :)

Offline wrancher

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
Good 2 minutes before noon,

Days just slip away from me. I still need to go check baby chicks and get mail. Baking an angel food cake for neighbors birthday. She is diabetic so wont frost and just clean some strawberries. I need to wrap her gift and go deliver it.  Ross is at a bull sale in Nebraska.  Calving is keeping us on our toes.  Allison stayed home from school today with cold. She helped me carry in flooring I am gonna put in my bedroom. Guy comes Monday to install. Sunday DSIL and fiance are coming to work on wedding things. After they leave I will haul stuff out of bedroom to be ready for installer. I have a list a mile long better hop to it. In process of booking a vacation for a friends birthday party. Ross and I never get to go anywhere. We never really had a honeymoon. So this is our get away. 

Tea on the run

Janice

Offline wrancher

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Happy Birthday to Christine!

Merilee- I have replaced 2 toliets myself. Super simple.  turn off water by tank. Flush out all the water.  take off top tank with screws and it is all by hand barely need tools. You just have to undo water line then unscrew bottom bolts.  Take off  Maybe just buy a new wax seal put down then put on the same way you took off. Goes pretty fast.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
Good afternoon!

It is an absolutely beautiful day today!  High of 70 something.  Kids are finishing schoolwork over the next several hours and then it is out in the backyard to play. :)  Looks like this will be the last pretty day for several weeks because we have a cold front moving through tonight that may bring severe weather with it.  Hope not.

On my list for the rest of the day is to finish 3 more loads of laundry.  That should empty the laundry room completely out.....until tomorrow.  I may work on my closet again today.  I didn't make it very far on it yesterday because too many other things had to be done.  I was thinking of actually putting my china (or as we call it around here, the dishes we have never used lol :)) into my china cabinet.  What a strange idea huh, china in a china cabinet?  I am slow, but getting there.  Also I am slowly putting the really cold weather stuff like fleece things away for the summer.  That takes a while as well.  On the food prep part of things, I need to get some carrot and celery sticks cut up and washed, boil up a bunch of eggs, and get enough chicken and beef cooked for meals through the weekend.

Merilee, I was thinking about what you asked about installing the toilet yourself.  Do you have a friend that has done it before that could help?  I don't remember how hard it was the first time hubby replaced one and he has a good friend that is a plumber that he may have had show him how, I don't remember.  Weird, because all of the plumbing in our house that my husband has done has held up, but the stuff that a plumber did is what we have had problems with.(not the same plumber as his friend)  Has your husband done any kind of plumbing before? If he hasn't, I would say at least get someone who has done it to help because you don't want stuff leaking and sometimes the gaskets are hard to get to seal, especially if you have tile floors.  I think we should buy stock in toilet gaskets with as many of them as we replace. ;) :)

Have a good day all.  I am off to enjoy this pretty day! :) :)

Blessings,
Lindsay

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Good afternoon ladies ~

I hope you are all well.

Happy Birthday to your daughter Merliee.  Hope you guys have a great day.

Janice ~ love reading about your day.  You are a busy lady!

Lindsay ~ enjoy your beautiful day.  I am a wee bit jealous of 70, sounds heavenly.

I am off to finish getting dinner ready.  I also need to send an email out for soccer and clean the kitchen.  I left work ill today so I came home and went to bed, so nothing got done early.  ;)

Hope you all have a great night.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 06:23:24 PM »
Cathie you crack me up. I think my days sound boring and I never know if I should really write it down. I mean who really wants to know about checking baby chicks so they dont have poopy butts that you need to clean off, or the calf that just was born, etc.

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:45 PM »
Cathie you crack me up. I think my days sound boring and I never know if I should really write it down. I mean who really wants to know about checking baby chicks so they dont have poopy butts that you need to clean off, or the calf that just was born, etc.

Janice, I love to read about your days! :)  They are so different than mine.  Please don't stop posting about them! :) :)
Lindsay