Author Topic: Freezer cooking  (Read 3374 times)

Offline gaggleofseven

Re: Freezer cooking
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »
I find that even if I don't freeze entire meals, just freezing the cooked meat is a huge time saver. I'll brown 5 or 10 lbs of ground beef or ground turkey and season it while browning with onion, salt, and pepper; or salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Then I'll drain it and put approx. 1 lb. in freezer bags. The 1 lb. portions thaw quickly. I drop a frozen portion into the spaghetti sauce or whatever, and it thaws as the sauce simmers. Since the meat is cooked, there's no food safety problem with using it frozen.

I also do the same with chicken breasts. I'll bake 10-12 breasts sprinkled with seasoned salt (per Dh's request  :)  ) and freeze the cooked chicken individually in freezer bags. Sometimes I'll dice the cooked chicken, sometimes I'll freeze the pieces whole. Big time saver for stir fry, chicken noodle soup, casseroles, etc.

Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 10:42:24 PM »
I find that even if I don't freeze entire meals, just freezing the cooked meat is a huge time saver. I'll brown 5 or 10 lbs of ground beef or ground turkey and season it while browning with onion, salt, and pepper; or salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Then I'll drain it and put approx. 1 lb. in freezer bags. The 1 lb. portions thaw quickly. I drop a frozen portion into the spaghetti sauce or whatever, and it thaws as the sauce simmers. Since the meat is cooked, there's no food safety problem with using it frozen.

I also do the same with chicken breasts. I'll bake 10-12 breasts sprinkled with seasoned salt (per Dh's request  :)  ) and freeze the cooked chicken individually in freezer bags. Sometimes I'll dice the cooked chicken, sometimes I'll freeze the pieces whole. Big time saver for stir fry, chicken noodle soup, casseroles, etc.

Jennie

Jennie I love the idea of doing it with Hamburger ahead of time.

Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:43 PM »
[quote author=wrancher link=topic=

Thanks I will make sure my store takes the expired ones. I find things right after they expire it seems like.

Thanks again,
Maleesa
Maleesa