Author Topic: September 17, 2013 Challenge  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
September 17, 2013 Challenge
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:04:29 AM »
Today I want to can the rest of the chicken and hopefully put up some of the broth as well.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: September 17, 2013 Challenge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:46 AM »
I'm hanging my laundry to dry.  I know, I'm probably the last person on here who doesn't do this already but it's one of those things I find hard to stick with.  Adult clothes are so easy, but the loads full of kids' clothes just bug me because they take so long to hang.  I constantly find myself thinking I'd be better off using the dryer to conserve my time with so many other things to do.  But, I'm trying to cut the budget to the quick so am trying yet again.
'
Kind of in a funk right now, if you'd think to say a little prayer for me.  I feel like I can do well at homemaking and cutting the budget OR homeschooling but not both at the moment.  But I HAVE to do both and really just want to sit down and cry.  Knowing Earl will be gone in a few weeks isn't helping.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »
I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed Catherine.  I would be, too, in your situation.

Just concentrate on the "have to's" and let the rest go.  If all you can manage to get together for dinner is pancakes, then pancakes it is!  Decide what absolutely HAS to get done each day and work on that.  If there is too much, break it down and see what the kids can do.  Perhaps Maddy and Mallory can hang up the clothes or at least take them down.  Even the littler ones can probably be a big help.

Good luck!  And, if you feel like you need a good cry, have one.  Sometimes you need the release to help you feel better and move along.

Denise

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
I'm sorry you're feeling so discouraged.  I will be praying for you. 

One tactic I use when I feel like I can't do it all, is something I learned in college of all places.  Make a list of everything you need to do.  Then take the top 2 items and put a mark by the one that is more important based on your goals or what HAS to be done.  Then compare #3 spot with the first and mark the higher priority.  Then compare fourth to the first item and so on.  When you get to the bottom of the list start over but move to the number 2 spot and compare in turn to each below.  Then start with number three and move down.  Basically, you're doing a forced priority list comparing each item in turn with each other item.  Only compare items below the one you're comparing.  Don't go back up the list.  If you have a tie, revote those 2 items.

My list may look like this:

///dishes
groceries
/call bank
//litter box
vacuum

Then count up the dashes and this puts your items in priority order.  Then you work on as many as you can in order and if something has to drop off, so be in. At least it will be a lower priority one.  I use this tactic ALL the time and it helps me organize my time and thoughts and I'm able to accomplish way more and it's a good motivator too.  If you google forced choice priority planning, I'm sure there are better explanations out there if I'm not making sense.

No idea if this will help or not, but there it is.  Can you delegate jobs or parts of job to kids to take some of the burden off of you?
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:19:34 PM »
The advice you have been given so far is right on.

I remember my ob/gyn telling me, and this was when my children were very young, cut corners whenever you can--if you have a dishwasher--use it, if you have a dryer--use it, if you have _________, use it! Very good advice to get me through the very busy years.  Now that my kids are pretty much on their own, I sometimes still use a dryer but mostly on the clothesline. Don't put yourself down because you can't accomplish what you think you have to, to keep up with all the others! From what I read about you, I think you're a great wife and mom! Praying for you in these difficult times ahead--it will pass.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
Well, the kids do have chores, but the older two were working on schoolwork while I was hanging laundry.  It's just a juggling act, you know?   They have things they do (chicken and rabbit care, rooms, the kids' bathroom, helping in the kitchen, etc...) but during their schoolwork time that is their "job".  The 5 and 7 YO need me while they do their schoolwork, and Max, being 3, needs to be kept out of trouble.  I did have my 5 YO handing me things out of the basket to hang till he got tired of that and went indoors again.  I would prefer NOT to hang laundry.  Right now, I need to cut all costs to a bare minimum and I still don't know how we will pay everything the next 4 months or so even with that.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
Shelly, I like your prioritizing method.  I've done it another way but maybe I should give your way a try.

Offline fishermanwife

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
greyhoundgirl, I just saw some of your post like where he was working and taking food with him, is he planning on working there for a while? will you be moving there? There is an aldis in that town if he has to go shopping we bought a lot of our food there and Jumbos West has a big selection of already made foods in their deli like chicken, ribs and sushi.
Norma in Southeast Oklahoma. Wife to Steven, mommy to Abby 16, Keagan 14, Trenten 10, Ollie 7.

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
My challenge for today is paperwork. I have several items that I need to deal with that have accumulated to the point where I really need to take care of them or file them today.
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:19 PM »
Catherine - I hope you didn't think I was implying your children didn't have chores.  I can tell by your posts that your children are very responsible and you are a great mom!

I think that, if it were me and my husband was going to be gone for so long and the finances were extremely tight, I would prioritize much differently than I would in normal circumstances.  First, and foremost, would be the kids.  They need to be clean, fed and schooled.  I would also need to be clean and fed as would any animals we had.  I would include all clothes in this priority.  Next would be anything I had to do to cut the budget to the bare bones.  Hanging up laundry would go under here.  I hang my laundry but am lucky we have a basement so I do everything down there which makes it easier.  If I don't take it down, it can stay there until I get to it.  Is there any way you can hang somewhere in the house?  Basic cleaning, etc. would come after that.  Anything else, if I had time, I would do it.  If not, it would wait.  Your windows are not going to fall off the house if they don't get washed during the time Earl is gone.  This time next year, your circumstances will hopefully be much better and you can be proud of yourself for having survived a very difficult situation (again!).

Please don't be so hard on yourself.  This is such an incredibly difficult situation and anyone would be stressed out.  I feel stress just thinking about it!

Just a thought - will your parents be visiting while Earl is away?  Would it be possible for them or even just your mom to visit to help out for a bit?  For me, half the battle would be the fact that I was alone.  Actually, I think it would be 75% of the battle!

Good luck!  And please remember, we are always here if you need to vent or cry.  I, for one, would be more than happy to give you my number if you ever need to talk.

Denise

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
Shelly, I like your prioritizing method.  I've done it another way but maybe I should give your way a try.

It may or may not help.  You seem to be a very organized person, so like I said, it may do nothing to help you, but I figured I'd throw it out there since it helps me a lot.  You are in such a tough situation and anyone would be overly stressed.  I know I would!  I pray that you will find a way to make everything come together and you can look back on this as a growing experience.  I wish I could give you a hug and an extra pair of hands.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
greyhoundgirl, I just saw some of your post like where he was working and taking food with him, is he planning on working there for a while? will you be moving there? There is an aldis in that town if he has to go shopping we bought a lot of our food there and Jumbos West has a big selection of already made foods in their deli like chicken, ribs and sushi.

Yes, he'll be working up there, most likely permanently.  The first 15 weeks is training at half pay, though.  And then after that we'll need to build up a bit of savings again so the rest of us can move.  We're looking at likely next April or May for the rest of us to move.

I will most likely send food with him from the commissary and things I've bought from Azure (bulk beans, etc...).  Just for the best pricing.  Also, we had heard there was a commissary there (Air Force, I think?) so figured he could pick up the odd thing or two there as needed.  It's good to know Aldi is an option as well, thank you!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 05:19:20 PM »
Catherine - I hope you didn't think I was implying your children didn't have chores.  I can tell by your posts that your children are very responsible and you are a great mom!

I think that, if it were me and my husband was going to be gone for so long and the finances were extremely tight, I would prioritize much differently than I would in normal circumstances.  First, and foremost, would be the kids.  They need to be clean, fed and schooled.  I would also need to be clean and fed as would any animals we had.  I would include all clothes in this priority.  Next would be anything I had to do to cut the budget to the bare bones.  Hanging up laundry would go under here.  I hang my laundry but am lucky we have a basement so I do everything down there which makes it easier.  If I don't take it down, it can stay there until I get to it.  Is there any way you can hang somewhere in the house?  Basic cleaning, etc. would come after that.  Anything else, if I had time, I would do it.  If not, it would wait.  Your windows are not going to fall off the house if they don't get washed during the time Earl is gone.  This time next year, your circumstances will hopefully be much better and you can be proud of yourself for having survived a very difficult situation (again!).

Please don't be so hard on yourself.  This is such an incredibly difficult situation and anyone would be stressed out.  I feel stress just thinking about it!

Just a thought - will your parents be visiting while Earl is away?  Would it be possible for them or even just your mom to visit to help out for a bit?  For me, half the battle would be the fact that I was alone.  Actually, I think it would be 75% of the battle!

Good luck!  And please remember, we are always here if you need to vent or cry.  I, for one, would be more than happy to give you my number if you ever need to talk.

Denise

No, no, didn't think that.  I just at the same time don't feel like I should assign more to them during the time they need to do schoolwork.  It is so easy (from past experience) to let schoolwork be the thing that is derailed and I'm trying so very hard not to let that happen.  Maddy is very good about helping out, though, even without being asked, and I am so thankful for that.  I'm just feeling challenged right now.  For some reason, when the grocery budget gets super tight, it seems like everything just feels hard having to spend a lot more time in the kitchen and such.

So, I did hang two loads of laundry.  On the way home from the eye doctor it started to rain.  Luckily, Earl had just gotten home from work and went and took it down.  We had to put it in the dryer for 20 minutes after all.  :D  Guess it just wasn't my day to hang laundry, lol.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
I agree that having less money to spend on food makes things seem harder.  I always say to Doug that it is a lot of work not having extra money.  I know it is healthier and way better for us when I make everything from scratch, but it would be so much easier not to some nights!

Denise

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Well, I got the rest of the chicken canned today, but didn't get to the broth.  That will happen tomorrow as long as I can get it done before heading to the hospital.