Author Topic: What are you doing with the left over Ham from Easter?  (Read 2934 times)

Offline mom of 2 boys

What are you doing with the left over Ham from Easter?
« on: April 05, 2015, 05:26:09 PM »
I have lots left. I was thinking grilled ham steaks, cube some and freeze it for pizza's and lentil soup with ham. I will still have lots left. Need more idea's.

Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: What are you doing with the left over Ham from Easter?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »
Well, we had turkey, but I did fix a ham last weekend.  We ate the leftovers with scalloped potatoes for dinner on Tuesday...yum!

Offline allison5273

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 05:02:55 AM »
I usually make ham salad. I also make mac and cheese with ham as a main dish, ham green beans and potatoes in the crock pot, bean soup, ham, eggs, and potato skillet. Potato ham and swiss soup. I will keep thinking. I have a lot of leftover ham too.

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:24:44 AM »
I don't think my ham will stay around too long as I have three college kids home yet today so I'm sure they will be nibbling but if there is any leftover, I will make some scalloped ham potatoes. I do have the ham bone ready to boil away and then the broth will be made into pea soup at a later date.  If we're lucky we might have a few slices left for a sandwich or two but if not I did buy two extra hams last week and have them in the freezer for a later time.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 10:38:38 PM »
Well, we had turkey, but I did fix a ham last weekend.  We ate the leftovers with scalloped potatoes for dinner on Tuesday...yum!

Oh yes scalloped potatoes. We love them and I always forget about them.

Thanks,
Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
I usually make ham salad. I also make mac and cheese with ham as a main dish, ham green beans and potatoes in the crock pot, bean soup, ham, eggs, and potato skillet. Potato ham and swiss soup. I will keep thinking. I have a lot of leftover ham too.

Will you please share you Potato ham and swiss soup? Sounds amazing! Thanks for the ideas.

Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 10:41:10 PM »
I don't think my ham will stay around too long as I have three college kids home yet today so I'm sure they will be nibbling but if there is any leftover, I will make some scalloped ham potatoes. I do have the ham bone ready to boil away and then the broth will be made into pea soup at a later date.  If we're lucky we might have a few slices left for a sandwich or two but if not I did buy two extra hams last week and have them in the freezer for a later time.

Alice

Alice do you boil the ham bone right away to make a broth and freeze it for later then? I like that idea if you do.

Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 04:03:00 AM »
Maleesa,

I didn't boil the ham bone right away since I wanted to chat with the family. I boiled it last night (Monday) and picked the meat off. I refrigerate it overnight and take the fat off the top. I can either use the broth for soup or freeze it for a later date.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline allison5273

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 06:24:48 AM »
I really don't have a recipe. I make a basic creamy  potato soup with a couple cups of dice ham and 1/2 # to a pound of swiss cheese to taste. It is not low calorie but it is yummy.

Offline wrancher

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »
We are boring and just snadwiches and today it will be ground up and froze for ham salad sandwiches when we are in hurry.I dont add anything till after I take out of freezer.

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Maleesa,

I didn't boil the ham bone right away since I wanted to chat with the family. I boiled it last night (Monday) and picked the meat off. I refrigerate it overnight and take the fat off the top. I can either use the broth for soup or freeze it for a later date.

Alice

Alice,
I like that.

Thanks,
Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:16 PM »
I really don't have a recipe. I make a basic creamy  potato soup with a couple cups of dice ham and 1/2 # to a pound of swiss cheese to taste. It is not low calorie but it is yummy.

Sounds good. Thank you.

Maleesa
Maleesa

Offline mom of 2 boys

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
I ended up cooking up a turkey yesterday and am going to freeze it in a few bags. I decided on Turkey salad ( using up turkey) and Chicken cordon blue ( using up turkey and ham) making it. So there is a couple meals I came up with for next week.

Maleesa
Maleesa