Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 8578 times)

Offline greyhoundgirl

Book recommendations
« on: September 18, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct spot for this but thought it would be good to get a thread going. 

Two books I've read recently that are both excellent are The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure by Julia Ross.  They make so much sense scientifically and go into the chemical reasons why people get depressed or anxious (The Mood Cure) or have trouble losing and maintaining weight (The Diet Cure).  There is a lot of overlap between the two areas so I read the books concurrently.  To oversimplify it just a bit, we wind up short of certain amino acids that our bodies need to make all the neurotransmitters that keep us feeling well and not craving foods.  This can be due to a lack of protein in the diet or stress in life (which increases our need for certain ones), tramatic events, substance abuse, and so on.  Probably for many of us it's just the diet or stress part.  Vegetables also contain some of these amino acids (and protein) but on a much lower scale, plus even organically-farmed ones tend to be much lower in them than they used to (containing half or less of what they should) due to farming and fertilizing methods.  (I just read another book specifically on the subject of how to grow veggies and fruits to have their full nutritional potential...fascinating!)  So we have a widespread nutritional shortage but it IS fixable, and quite simply, if you just know what you are needing.  Both these books have detailed questionnaires to help determine that, plus recommendations for what to eat to help out as well.

Anyway, sorry to be so long but these are a GREAT read if you want to understand more about this subject and how to fix it nutritionally.

Offline Brittany

Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:31:24 PM »
No recommendations, but I'd love to know what the book is that you rad about growing food to full nutritional potential!

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
No recommendations, but I'd love to know what the book is that you rad about growing food to full nutritional potential!

It was this one.  I got it when it was free for kindle so you might want to watch for that again.  Honestly, the second part seems like a lot of inferring that you should use her consulting business to help you figure out what you need to put into your garden but there is a LOT of excellent info in the book, regardless.  http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Growing-Maximum-Nutrition-ebook/dp/B00DYFHTN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380053336&sr=8-1&keywords=jana+bogs

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »

It was this one.  I got it when it was free for kindle so you might want to watch for that again.  Honestly, the second part seems like a lot of inferring that you should use her consulting business to help you figure out what you need to put into your garden but there is a LOT of excellent info in the book, regardless.  http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Growing-Maximum-Nutrition-ebook/dp/B00DYFHTN4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380053336&sr=8-1&keywords=jana+bogs

Catherine
This sounds along the lines of something I need to be reading right now.  Any idea if I could get it in book form?  I am probably the only person on here that does not own a Kindle.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:56 PM »
You could just use the free Kindle for PC app and read it on your computer.

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »
What Catherine said. I downloaded the Kindle for PC (free) about 1.5 years before I purchased my Kindle. It lets me snag those freebies. Heh, I have over 2,000 books and probably paid for 20 of them?
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 05:54:08 PM »
What Catherine said. I downloaded the Kindle for PC (free) about 1.5 years before I purchased my Kindle. It lets me snag those freebies. Heh, I have over 2,000 books and probably paid for 20 of them?
I am not that computer literate. How do you do this off amazon?

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_ln_ar?docId=1000426311

Hopefully that'll take you to the app to download the Kindle PC.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Thanks! ;D

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
I'm reading The Wilder Days by Wendy McClure and thought I'd mention it in case some of you fellow Little House fans would be interested.  It was written in 2011 by a girl who grew up reading the books then did a lot of actual research on the real Laura as an adult.  I'm maybe 80-100 pages in and it's good so far.

Offline mooremama

• Sam and the boys
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 01:59:04 PM »
The Wilder Days or The Wilder Life Catherine?

I tried looking it up on Amazon to read more about it and all I found was The Wilder Life

Beth
Beth in western NC
Wife of Sam for 27 years,
Mother of Aaron (26) and Caylon (24)
MIL to Bo
Nan to Lainey Beth (7), Stephen Holden (3) and Samuel Evan (2)
Furmama to Bonnie and Jake
Barnyard Mama to 2 goats, 3 turkeys and oodles of chickens.

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 02:04:04 PM »
You're right, it's The Wilder Life That's what I get for not going to look at it before posting.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:04:37 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 02:17:21 AM »
Just adding that, while I found this book interesting as it's loaded with tidbits about "real" LHOTP stuff, it's more this woman's journey of self-discovery after her mom's death than meant to be an expose' of facts...wouldn't want anyone expecting different and disappointed.

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:06:55 AM »
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but I am participating in a reading challenge with part of my running club and thought I'd share.  Last year I challenged myself to read a certain number of new books (I read the same ones over and over, usually), but this I am are taking part in this challenge.  Would anyone be interested in participating here (though maybe in its own thread)?

There is also this one:

Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »
That sounds fun, Mandy!

The first one looks more fun and less overwhelming. On the second one, would you just do what to can/want on that list?  That's a big list!  ;D