Author Topic: Question about wheat  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Rooney

Question about wheat
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
I need to know what you ladies think about this.  I have a lot of wheat that I put away in food storage buckets about 6 years ago.  I had plans to bake bread everyday, but life got too busy and we went back to store bought.  It is in storage buckets with the gamma seal lids, only problem is I did not know enough then to use mylar bags or oxygen absorbers.  It is in a low moisture area of our home though.  My question is, is this wheat still good and how would I be able to tell if it wasn't?  Am really hoping it is good because I am washing up all my bread pans and getting the Bosch mixer cleaned up. :)

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
Re: Question about wheat
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »
I found this link:
http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/how-long-will-my-wheat-store/
If it was me I would try grinding some and bake it, unless it smelled bad or I saw mold on it. :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
I would absolutely use it! Obvious it's gotta pass the mold and smell test, but this summer I've used some wheat from my mom's Y2K stash. Uh huh, it's at least 14 years old. :)

The biggest issue I ran into is less gluten content. I'm not sure if it was the wheat or the age, but I was wishing for a tablespoon of gluten in my yeast breads. It worked fine for non-yeast stuff, like pancakes and muffins.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
I would absolutely use it! Obvious it's gotta pass the mold and smell test, but this summer I've used some wheat from my mom's Y2K stash. Uh huh, it's at least 14 years old. :)

The biggest issue I ran into is less gluten content. I'm not sure if it was the wheat or the age, but I was wishing for a tablespoon of gluten in my yeast breads. It worked fine for non-yeast stuff, like pancakes and muffins.
How was your mom's stored?  Buckets alone or with mylar bags and oxygen absorbers in them?

Offline Leahsgarden

• doTERRA Essential Oils
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
Buckets alone... I know she put oxygen absorbers in them, but some of the buckets were used and I don't know if they had them anymore. I picked up the buckets about 6 years ago. Just finished using the last one this summer.
...Leah
wife to Chris
Mommy to Caleb, Logan, & Josie

Offline Rooney

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
Buckets alone... I know she put oxygen absorbers in them, but some of the buckets were used and I don't know if they had them anymore. I picked up the buckets about 6 years ago. Just finished using the last one this summer.
Thanks you made me feel better about how long it had been in the buckets.  We got it out last night and I ground up about 10 pounds of hard white and soft white each.  I did notice that once hard white wheat ages a little it looks a lot like brown rice, had to get some brown rice out just to compare and make sure it wasn't.  Anyway, if I get a chance I will try some bread tonight, if not definitely this weekend because we are getting a bunch of apples on our Azure order tomorrow, so there will be some serious apple pie baking going on.  :)