Author Topic: Veggie Garden?  (Read 3733 times)

Offline Cathie

Veggie Garden?
« on: May 22, 2015, 06:31:58 AM »
Anyone plant a garden this year?

We planted our vineyard this year! I am very excited about that.

I am hoping to buy some berry plants and fruit trees next year.  I didn't have the funds to do everything this year  ;)

I am only doing a garden in planters this year.  I need to get some seed packets - love to have some lettuce plants as well as tomatoes and peppers. Hopefully I can do that soon and get them.

Offline greyhoundgirl

Re: Veggie Garden?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 07:15:31 AM »
Yes, we did!  And I'm glad we did, because we actually are getting rain this year and it's growing like crazy.

No plans for a vineyard here (no space) but that sounds so fun.  We did, however, buy a few fruit trees at TSC and then ordered some geared more toward our climate from a nursery in GA.  We planted two peach trees, a sour and a sweet cherry, two apple trees, and a plum tree.  The plum tree is doing nothing (from TSC), but the others are doing very well.  The ones ordered from GA are doing best...so thankful we took the plunge THIS spring because we haven't had to water them except the first few weeks after planting.

As for the rest of the garden, I know we plant early compared to some of you, but I cheated and planted even earlier than I should have (on tomatoes and squashes).  Ended up having to cover some due to frost and hail predictions, but it seems to have paid off with the tomatoes.  I've posted some pics on fb but they are doing well.  Partially due to how we planted them this year; partially due to all the lovely rain (we've had over 14 inches in May so far; very rare for here).

In the garden, I have growing:

4 varieties of tomatoes
yellow squash
zucchini
candy roaster squash
at least 2 varieties of cucumbers (planted three kinds but I don't know if all came up)
patty pan squash
sunflowers (to feed birds and our chickens and for beauty!)
3 varieties of lettuce (Paris Cos, a red Romaine, and a leaf lettuce)
radishes (now about done but letting a few flower to collect seed)
rainbow carrots
Swiss chard
bell peppers (just getting going because our temps are so cool this year)
watermelons
zinnias
lilies
freesias
Harlequin marigolds
sugar snaps (about done)

I keep thinking of things I forgot earlier; added them to my above list.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:06:55 PM by greyhoundgirl »

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
Cathie: do tell about your vineyard!!  Would love to hear all about it!

Catherine: sounds like you will have a great harvest this summer!  Thankful you are getting rain.  I know how badly you have needed it!

I have not planted anything as of yet.  I am thinking I might grab a couple of containers for this year.  We won't be home much this summer, so I am thinking of keeping it small.  That might be a project for next week.
We do most of our planting over Memorial Day here, so maybe I will hit the nursery on Tues. to see if there are any good deals on the leftovers!  I would like to plant some flowers as well, so maybe I will put that on my to do list!

Here's to fruitful growing!!
Pam

Living in West Michigan and loving life!
Wife of 32 years
At home Mom to 3 grown sons ages 29, 25, 22 and  daughter in love aged 25

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
We did!  We put in:

*Bibb Lettuce
*'Black Seeded Simpson' Lettuce
*Red Leaf Lettuce (just one plant)
*Carrots
*Sugar Snap Peas
*Bush Blue Lake Beans
*Summer Squash
*Red Potatoes

I think we may have put in zucchini, as well.  We're already picking lots of lettuce and everything else is growing well.  We also have asparagus, but it's only year two of the growing cycle, so we haven't eaten any yet.  I bought seeds for herbs, but I'm a bit behind in planting them  ::)

I can't wait to see/hear more about your vineyard, Cathie!

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Cathie

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:50 AM »
We planted 3 rows of Cabernet and 1 row of Merlot.  If the harvest is good we should yield anywhere from 200 - 300 bottles of wine. This is the 5 year plan, hopefully sooner but I need to be realistic.  We hope to plant some white grapes next year perhaps chardonnay or another kind.  There is baby grapes on it already,  I will have to see if I can post a picture from my phone.

Offline Cathie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:36:32 AM »
Cath ~ that is a BIG garden!

Pam ~ I am container gardening this year as well  ;)

Mandy ~ I think I might have to get snap peas for Sydney she loves them!

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
Oh yeah, that reminds me, I should go get some containers and plants!

Or -- plants IN containers!
 ::)

Let me grab my keys, my phone, some motivation.  Now ---- where did I put that motivation??!!!?!?? 
(I need a swift kick in the PLants!! )

Pam
Wife of 32 years

Offline Rooney

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 01:29:53 PM »

(I need a swift kick in the PLants!! )

:D :D :D
Quote from: Cathie link=topic=1278.msg11737#msg11737 date=1432726592

Mandy ~ I think I might have to get snap peas for Sydney she loves them!
[/quote

Cathie. I know girl, I wanted some sugar snaps too and they had some plants a few months back at Azure  that I just KNEW I should have tried while they had them.  But you know how that goes.....shoulda..coulda...woulda...Now I wished I hada. ;)

shedrinkzcoffee

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »
We have a small raised bed this year.. Some peppers, tomatoes and squash varieties.  We help the neighbor with his garden too so we get a lot from him.  He has given us asparagus, artichoke, onions and zucchini already this summer.  We get fruits from a local u pick farm or a roadside stand.  Getting kinda spoiled in that department.  Roadside strawberries are the best!

Offline Cathie

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Baby grapes  ;)

Offline Cathie

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:37:10 AM »
Signs my husband made for me for the vineyard - Cabernet, Merlot and the vineyard.
It's a baby vineyard  :D

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:30 AM »
Too cool, Cath!  Love the signs :)

M
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline pamgonzo

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 01:16:48 PM »
Cathie: How exciting!!  Super cute signs!

My update is that I have my containers all good to go.  Three types of tomato plants, one jalapeno plant, and a little herb garden container with just sweet basil, oregano and garlic chives. 

Way low key and such a few plants, but I am hoping that I will be able to keep on top of it this way.

Hope everyone is getting their gardens rolling!!

Pam
Wife of 32 years