Author Topic: Ducks for meat and eggs  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Ducks for meat and eggs
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:38:23 PM »
We had a flock of 6 ducks.  We're raising them for meat and eggs.  We slaughtered our first meat duck this past weekend and even though we didn't name them and I never touched them other than to transfer them from one place to another, I'm having a hard time eating it after seeing it alive and I'm not sure why.  I'm not attached to them at all.  If they were gone tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me, but I can't stop picturing it alive and the thought of eating it turns my stomach.  I know I'm not the only one here raising meat.  Is it just cause it's the first time we've done this?  Does it get easier?  I can buy a duck at the store and cook and eat it with out any issues.  It's silly.
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)

Offline wrancher

Re: Ducks for meat and eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
Now remember I am a farm and ranch gal. I couldn't wait to raise chickens for eggs to sell.  When we got our first egg we were all afraid to eat it.  Now it is no big deal.  Just seemed funny. After you cook and eat it you will be fine.  I mainly did it so my kids would follow my footsteps we don't want to waste.  It is normal to have that feeling but just try to think of it as bettering your family.  You know what it was fed, how it was raised, etc.  good luck!  You can do this

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Ducks for meat and eggs
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
Thanks.  We'll be slaughtering another one next tuesday (culling the males) and I am less squeamish about the actual killing and gutting now.  I'm hoping I will be able to eat the meat this time.  Trevor ended up eating the last one himself and the kids did have a few bites.  They didn't even know what they were eating (they're 3, so not a big deal at this age)

We still have some more time before eggs start showing up, but I'm hoping that will be easy.  I'm glad to know it gets easier.  I feel so much better knowing where our food is coming from.  I didn't expect it to be hard. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)