Author Topic: Sewing Cloth Pads  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Brittany

Sewing Cloth Pads
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »
About a year ago I had a serious reaction to a disposable pad of unknown brand. Since then I've been sticking with one type that I know for sure does not give me a reaction, but it is getting expensive over time. Even with sales and trying to find coupons, I feel like I am spending way too much on them so I am wanting to try to make some cloth ones for myself. I don't really have the money to buy any that are already made.

Even though I've had a sewing machine for a couple years and some of the basics to use it, I've been a little  scared of it. Whatever I make will need to be pretty easy, somewhat discreet as I'm back living with my parents (at least for another month) and my family would be very disapproving, and cheap. I don't want to waste materials on bad patterns, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to make my own.

I have some cotton fat quarters that could work as the top layer and I'm unsure about what to put in the middle (terry cloth or flannel maybe?). Does anyone have a reliable pattern or tutorial that you could suggest? I'll take tips or advice of any sort!

Offline Shelly

• Administrator
Re: Sewing Cloth Pads
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
When I made mine, I just took 2 terry washcloths, folded them into thirds and stitched the two short ends.  That's it and they work fine.  A few years before I made those, I did take the time to cut flannel and contour the sides and stitch them and add snaps to wings and all that, but the terry ones I made work just as well.  Actually, the terry ones i like better because they dry faster.  As long as your underwear isn't loose, it should work fine. 

I have been thinking of adding a layer of PUL to some of them for when I go out, but i typically use my diva cup when out, so I haven't gotten around to it. 
Wife to Trevor for 16 years and SAHM to Maisie (4) Liam (4) Aedric (1) Harold (1)