Author Topic: Planning the menu and then it bursts!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Planning the menu and then it bursts!
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:44:13 AM »
So many times when I plan a menu for the evening meal, I come home to find out that everyone has made other meal plans for the day. Or, maybe they decide that the late lunch they had is still satisfying them so they won't be eating supper. It is really hard that all the years of having little children and planned meals now go **poof** because they are young adults now (though they live home during the summer) and often have plans with friends and even each other that goes beyond my dinner hour. It's a whole new way of planning and one that is hard for me. Hubby now works late afternoon/evenings and comes home by 7:30 pm so many nights it's just me...all alone...for dinner.

Sometimes their plans come unexpectedly and then I'm stuck with a large amount of thawed chicken or whatever it was going to be and then I'm not sure what to do with it. I still need supper so I often just cook it and leave the leftovers for whoever wants them tomorrow. It's really nothing that can be changed since they are all adults and I can't force them to plan meal times with us but I'm just commenting on how quickly this snuck up on me. I will say that when they are home, they sure can eat a lot and often a friend is with them and that makes me happy that they bring friends home.

I have been in the mindset of stocking up on stuff but really I shouldn't do that anymore since I only have them home for the summer and then between jobs and social gatherings I don't really have a lot of people to feed. I had all three kids on Sunday with a friend and my mother-in-law and made a 3 lb. meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans but I didn't plan a dessert since I didn't even know I was having guests! Everyone asked for dessert so it was crushed fresh strawberries and frozen whipped cream! The 3 lb. meatloaf was made with 1.1 lbs. ground beef, 1 lb. pork sausage, and 1 lb. ground turkey with lots of carrots, shredded cheese, bread crumbs, cracker crumbs and seasoning to really stretch that meal.  If anything I have to get more creative since I don't always know who is coming!

It will happen to all of us at some point but it sure came fast for me. Last time I looked my kids were toddlers but hmm, something happened and they are 19, 21, and 22.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline Rooney

Re: Planning the menu and then it bursts!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »
Alice, could you maybe plan for everyone to be eating and then bag up any leftovers for the freezer for individual heat-up lunches for another time?  That way you could still stay with what you had planned, most stuff can be frozen and reheated, and it isn't getting wasted if someone eats it (maybe not that day and maybe for a lunch, but it still gets eaten).