Author Topic: Is my chicken a rooster? (photos attached)  (Read 1676 times)

Offline MN_Mom

Is my chicken a rooster? (photos attached)
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
We are new to chickens this year. We just went to the local store and purchased two chicks. We told them we wanted laying hens, but nothing was guaranteed. From the beginnning, I've felt that Nelson is a rooster. Now that he's about four months old he doesn't make the same "buck buck" sound like the other. It almost sounds like he's trying to clear his throat ... kind of like finding his voice to make the rooster call.

I've done some research and it seems like there are ways to tell: saddle feathers, development of the comb, etc., but I just can't tell. What do you think??

Thanks so much for anything you can share!
Lisa living in MN

Offline Andrea G

• no better thing under the sun
Re: Is my chicken a rooster? (photos attached)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
Based on the second picture, I would say it's a pullet.  The hackle feathers and saddle feathers look rounded.  Also at four months the comb and wattles would be more red if it was a roo.  Very pretty bird! :)
Loving life in southern Ontario
Wife to David, Mom to Kate, Paul, Matt and Julianne

Offline MN_Mom

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:06:25 PM »
Thank you! I've been stressed about this since we live in the city and roosters are not allowed! We are all quite attached to her.
Lisa living in MN

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:25:07 PM »
Beautiful chicken!  I'd say hen as well based on the pics so far.  Is she a Gold-Laced Wyandotte?

Offline MN_Mom

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
We don't know what she is! We tried to find a similar-looking one at the Fair, but didn't have any luck. I'll go with your suggestion, though! :)
Lisa living in MN