Author Topic: Sewing machine recommendations  (Read 1825 times)

Offline 4kidsmom

Sewing machine recommendations
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »
Hi friends!  I may need to buy a new sewing machine.  I am hoping mine can be fixed, but just in case, I'm starting some research on new ones.  I mostly do craft projects and simple clothing.  So I don't think I need a really heavy duty machine with a million bells and whistles.   Any recommendations?

Merilee

Offline luv2bmom

Re: Sewing machine recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
My cousin has a Husqvarna sewing machine she loves.   I've also heard that Janomes are very good and both have nice starter, intermediate and advanced machines.  Joanns online have good sales plus you could always talk to an employee that works in that department, our Joann's is very helpful! 

I bought my Necchi machine 4 years ago where there was a sewing machine demonstration at a local business.  I love it and it's very simple with a few stitch options, it's heavy duty and easy for me to maintain. 

Have fun looking!
Pixie, wife to Coby
mother to Megan, Amanda
and to our beloved late son Braden
Baboo to Mont, Ada, Brinly and Brielle
mil to Warren and Marcus

Offline MoWin

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
My sewing machine is from Sears, but it is made by Janome. I am not even sure if Sears still sells sewing machines any more, since I bought mine at least 5 or 6 years ago. It has sewn  lots of quilts and still going strong.  ;D  I also have a vintage Singer in a cabinet that was given to me by my MIL. It was made back in the  late 50s/early 60s when singer actually made quality sewing machines.  This spring I bought a vintage Singer that was made in 1928. Sadly I still have never rewired it so I can try it out. Hope to do that sometime this winter.

I do not have personal experience with the modern Singer sewing machines, but I have not read good reviews at all for them.  :( I have heard some good things about the lower priced Brother machines. If you can afford it, Janome machines usually work well and are work horses. If you can find a vintage Singer machine and make sure it works properly, they are fabulous. Sometimes you can pick one up at a thrift store or garage sale for just a few bucks. I paid $25 for mine this spring. I am thinking the number on it are 99-99, but not sure off the top of my head.  ;) The one my MIL gave me is a Singer 328K.

Good luck.

Blessings,
Winona
Winona in northwest Missouri
Wife to Kevin
Mom to Carolyn, Cathryn, Isaiah, Hazel, and Jon
Grandma to Ashton, Ava, Noah, Izabella, and Maddison
Furbabies: Aeris, Buddy, and Callie

Offline Alana

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »
I have an older singer that I am quite happy with. But to be honest I don't do a ton of sewing. I have also heard great things about the Janome   
If you have a true sewing store anywhere near you I would recommend going there. I bought mine from a little mom and pop type shop. I might have paid a little more but they were able to show me how it all worked and they offered servicing and classes for the beginner   
Loving the country life in Canada!
Married to Sean
Mom of Brandon 20, Joshua 16, Evan 14 & Alyssa 11
Daycare 'mom' to 5 toddlers