Challenges and Daily Discussions > Homemaking Challenge

July 10, 2015 Project: Dying bed sheets

<< < (2/2)

Rooney:
Alice, do you ever shop at JCPenny's?  They have a line of bedding called Home Expressions, I believe.  Anyway, over 10 years ago, I bought a bed-in-bag from them for our bed and those sheets are still going.  And I wash sheets ALOT. They are still in the same condition as when I bought them and I would bet they have been washed 100 times.  Not sure what the thread count is on them, but they have held up better than the ones I have only had a few years.  I was surprised because they really weren't that expensive and it came in a set with a matching comforter.  I wouldn't know if they are still a good brand because that has been many years ago.  Too bad you can't bring them home and try them on like clothes to see if they fit right. :)

Alice:
The biggest thing I'm looking for are bed sheets that are nice and cool and crispy when I go to bed. That probably means 100% cotton. Kind of like when I was a kid  :). I do not like the soft flimsy sheets of today. The elastic around the sheet either break or the fabric stitching comes loose in the wash and they are so thin! The big reason I chose to dye the sheets I did was the elastic around them were strong and of good quality and for that reason alone I wanted to "save" the sheets.

I just now looked at Penney and they do have the Home Expressions but I'm worried about the cotton-rich blend as I'm not sure about that. Nor do I want sateen. There are a lot of fancy names out there and so many kinds of blends that it is really frustrating. I also did some research and there are a LOT of people who are having trouble finding the nice crispy sheets and there are a lot of suggestions that I'm checking out.

I probably will shop and open the packages and check out the corners and the fabric before I purchase. I'm just not in a hurry either so that helps.

Alice

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version