Author Topic: Cookbook storage  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Cheryl

Cookbook storage
« on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:47 PM »
I'm looking for ideas to store my cookbooks.  Right now I have most of them on a bookshelf in my bedroom but that's not ideal.  In a perfect world, I'd have them shelved in my kitchen so I could find the one I want right away.  My house is old and small and storage is scarce around here but I don't want to get rid of them.  I enjoy looking at them and reading them much more than hunting online for recipes.

Do any of you have a lot of cookbooks and a good way to store them?
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: Cookbook storage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
We have a corner cabinet in our kitchen that has one shelf in the top portion where I keep my most-used cookbooks (the main storage space behind the doors on the bottom holds liquor and bar and party pieces, and a small TV sits on the very top).  A few other books are on top of my kitchen cabinets.  The bulk of my books are in our pantry room in the basement, including all of those little booklet ones you get at the grocery checkout.

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Rooney

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 02:53:06 PM »
I don't have lots of cookbooks.  Mainly because I tend more to just find recipes I like online.  Since I have been doing lots of freezer cooking and bulk baking recently, I have printed out all of my most frequently used recipes, cut them out, and taped them on the inside of my cabinet doors (all but the ones with the glass fronts).  So when I am making something, I just leave the cabinet door open with that recipe on it. For actual cookbook storage,  I have seen where people have used magazine type racks on the backs of doors (kinda the way a shoe-rack works) to store cookbooks.  Also seen where they take plastic coated wire baskets and fasten the bottoms of them to the wall to make little hanging "cubbies" for the books.  Oh, and one more is where they use vertical type shelving for them because it takes up less room (with this type shelving, you only need about a foot of space across and could go to the ceiling if need be).

Offline Rooney

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
Cheryl, I am now looking for something similar for my kids fun reading books.  I am turning a stairwell landing right off our homeschool area into a "book nook" with a comfy bean bag for quiet reading.  There is obviously limited space in an area like this and I am leaning towards something that fits on the wall like a magazine display rack.  Might work for cookbooks as well? ???

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 05:45:24 PM »
These are good ideas!  I know I want them accessible when the urge strikes to look at them.  The way they are now isn't working out.  You've both given me some things to think about.  Thanks! :)
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
That's a problem for me also. When we moved I gave away most of my cookbooks and I regret that so much. In the meantime I now go online and print recipes I think I might like. When I make the recipe I decide if it is good enough to keep or not. If it is, it goes into a page protector in a three ring binder. If not, the paper get recycled for hubby to do math on the back sides. If it is a really good recipe, I actually write it out in a composition book which is my new "favorites". My adult kids know that if they know a recipe is tried, liked and used often it will go into the book for a quick find. This way, they don't have to go through the big binder to find that one recipe. A bonus is that when I'm no longer here on earth, someone can find my handwritten recipes and either laugh at me or feel special that they have something special.

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats

Offline bobbie78

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »
I LOVE cookbooks! That is the first thing I look at when I go thrift shopping. I love the community or church ones the best. I have quite. a. bit. I used to store my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks in my kitchen in a cupboard. But my collection grew and sadly, they are in those plastic bins with lids. I really need to stop collecting and get rid of some, but I love them. I went to the thrift store last week with my mom and got a Trisha Yearwood cookbook for .59! I was ecstatic. I also have a lot of my favorite recipes typed out and kept in a folder. Those are my tried and true and most requested recipes.  My grandmother didnt use recipes. She said it was all in her head.  Smart woman. But she had many cookbooks that I inherited.  I wish I had a big kitchen with one whole wall dedicated to keeping my cookbooks. But unfortunately I'm having trouble with where to put the toaster.  :-\
~Bobbie from southern Ohio. Living life with my partner, Chad and two furbabies Punkin and Jade.