Author Topic: Tuesday, July 14  (Read 668 times)

Offline Alice

• Married to Henry and we have 3 children
Tuesday, July 14
« on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:37 AM »
Wow! What a night of storms! The power went out about 1 am and still wasn't back on when my son got up to go to work at 5 am. Since the garage door was shut and had two vehicles inside I decided not to try to pull the cord but opted to car pool with him to work. No shower, no food, and off we went. But now I am at work two hours early.  I didn't dare open the refrigerator since we still had no power after 5 hours. Not sure what is happening in there or in the big deep freezer in this kind of hot weather but we left it alone. The power came on at 7 am but three of us had to get to work and were out of the house already.

I didn't sleep during the storm since it was so loud and the rain was torrential and then no air movement made for a very uncomfortable night of sleep or in my case no sleep. I got a lot done at work already so maybe I will leave by 3 pm when my son comes to pick me up from when he is done working. 

We broke down in June and bought another car for the kids to use. We found out with 5 adult drivers and 5 jobs and only 3 cars we were not able to make it work for everyone. None of the kids have money so we ended up buying a 12 YO car to add to our rotation. Keys are on a key holder in the hallway and the cars are just on the driveway and in the garage and anyone can pick a car in the morning and go to work as long as they return the key to the key holder all will be OK. Actually, there are two keys per car but one per car on the hooks. So far it is working but someday when someone forgets to return the key is when we have problems. It's too expensive to have keys made because of the "chips" that are inside the key makes it costly for key duplication.

About once per week every car is in use and one person doesn't have transportation so then we let dad know in advance that he has to ride his bike to the bus stop and use public transportation the rest of the way to work. He's the only one that has a "free" bus pass courtesy of his work and the bus line is closest to his work. The rest of do not have public transportation close to our jobs. I have a special calendar on the desk for car usage each day of the week.

After the stormy evening, I have not been able to prepare for our meal tonight.  Nothing is thawed though everything might be thawed due to the outage but I haven't opened the freezer and now I'm at work. Not sure what we're having.

How did the rest of you do if you had storms last night?

Alice
Alice
Married to Henry
Mom to 3 kids
2 cats