Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 8652 times)

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
Re: Book recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
I wrote this out in my phone as a checklist, and included all of the first challenge, and a few fun extras from the second :)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 01:45:10 PM »
That sounds fun, Mandy!

The first one looks more fun and less overwhelming. On the second one, would you just do what to can/want on that list?  That's a big list!  ;D

I did a similar challenge with a very similar list last year.  In fact, we had a fb group online which was helpful for ideas.  I gave up about halfway through the year because I wanted to read what I wanted to read rather than trying to meet categories.

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:09 AM »
I did the FB challenge with Catherine last year and also found the categories very restricting.  I would be willing to participate in this, though.  It would be fun to share what we read throughout the year although I believe several of us are friends on Goodreads so I guess we already do that.  I always welcome any opportunity to discuss books!  😊

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
For the reasons you've both stated, I think that's why I chose the first challenge.  There are only twelve categories on that one, so I should have plenty of time to read my own choices as well as fit in the 'required' reading :)

Mandy
Mandy, wife to Jean, furmama to Irish Wolfhound Grimmauld (Grimm), living in the mountains of Virginia.  Childless by circumstance and loving it! ♥

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
I just reread the first one and like that much better as well. I am looking forward to this!

Denise

Offline MissMandy

• ♥ Summer 2015 ♥
    • The Finstad Homestead
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 10:03:27 AM »
I guess I'll go ahead and start a separate thread for the 2016 challenge?? 

Mandy

Offline Proudmama

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »
Sounds good!  I am about halfway through my first book for the year - maybe it will even fulfill one of the categories.  😊

Denise

Offline greyhoundgirl

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
Just finished a book called In A French Kitchen:  Tales and Traditions of Everyday Home Cooking in France by Susan Herrmann Loomis and thought it might appeal to some of you.  If you've read An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler (I think), this reminds me of that style of book.  This chef moved to France many years ago and talks about the many friends she has made there and how they cook and stock their pantries.  Maybe I'm weird, but this kind of book gives me some motivation in the kitchen.  :)