Author Topic: Dehydrating cucumbers?  (Read 1284 times)

Offline gaggleofseven

Dehydrating cucumbers?
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
I have the chance to get a large amount of cucumbers for very little cost, but I don't have time to make pickles. Would there be any reason to dehydrate them? I can't even think how I would use dehydrated cucumbers--any suggestions or any other ideas on how to use them? I don't want to pass up the bargain.

Thanks!
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Cheryl

Re: Dehydrating cucumbers?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »
When I have a lot of extra ones I shred them and freeze.  I use these throughout the year to make a cucumber spread.  I also cut them in chunks, flash freeze, and then bag them.  I use these chunks in glasses of water for a little cucumber flavor.  It's refreshing on a hot day.

How about refrigerator pickles?  It doesn't take a lot of time.  I've made several gallons of these this summer.  I've done slices and whole dills.  I use this recipe -

http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/claussen-style-refrigerator-dill-pickles/

Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn

Offline gaggleofseven

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »
Thanks, Cheryl. I never thought of freezing them. Do you peel them first? How do you make your cucumber spread?

Again, thank you!
Jennie
Jennie
There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy!

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:58:43 AM »
I don't peel them, just rub them under running water to get all the little prickly parts off.

My cucumber spread recipe is posted in the Recipe Box on here in the snacks and appetizers section.  I'll post the link if you need it. 
Cheryl in Alabama
Wife to Tony
Mother to Lana & Emily
Nana to Logan & Madilyn